Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Site Admin

Default N. MLK & Russell

I don't know if we're both at fault here, but earlier I hopped onto the sidewalk a couple blocks, heading south on MLK. I never take this street, let alone ride a sidewalk, but I had to get to Tiny's. At Russell there was a green pedestrian light, so I took to crossing - a dark blue Scion, without lights on in rain that was pouring down, screached up next to me, perpendicular, by about a foot. Without his lights, I could hardly see him coming. Scared the shit out of me. I looked and kept on going, and I heard him scream after me "I hope you get hit!!!"

Since I had the right of way, to my best knowledge, I don't really feel bad. For the guy driving, should he read this, sorry you weren't paying attention man, but get your act together and turn on your lights. It's the law & you're going to be hurting when there's an injured cyclist on the road because you're too lazy to flip a switch.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Site Admin

dont ride on the sidewalk

you werent at fault
Old 11-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Site Admin

You are allowed to use the crossing, but only at walking speed. If you were going faster then you lose the right of way, and it can be used by an insurance company to try to deny claims. Not to mention that if you are traveling fast off a sidewalk at an intersection you add a very unexpected dynamic to the equation making it more difficult for a driver to see and avoid you as well as any other road users. Ride on the street when traveling for more than a block, it is safer for everyone.

Bjorn