Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2007, 02:28 AM
Site Admin

Thumbs down to the biker on clinton with the big, blue, goofy, clown shoe adidas

i rolled up to the stop at 25th and clinton, stopped for traffic and then proceeded. you, judging by the speed with which you passed me, did not stop at the stop sign, opting to blow through it. probably a bad choice considering the time of afternoon, the location of that 4 way stop and the amount of traffic around. then once you passed me you decided to pass the SUV in front of us. well, alright i guess. but there was traffic coming from the other direction. another bad choice, splitting traffic like that at dusk. you're starting to look like a real dick at this point. oh well, i'll probably never see you again. oh, but here we go, i see you at the stop at 21st and clinton, which again you decide to blow through. there were pedestrians crossing but that seemingly didn't matter. i turned to head to work down 21st and decide i'll stop at the store...and holy shit there you are. and holy shit...i lock up quicker than you, i enter the store before you, i get in line before you, i check out before you, and i'm out the door and on my way before you.

if i had to guess by the way you rode through the area you were in a rush. you had to get somewhere. fast. but instead you just fucking putted around the store. wtf man? (this is where i caught a look at your unfortunate shoe choice by the way. i'm no shoe snob at all, but when you see someone riding like you, then you see the shoes you decided were a good idea to purchase, that wipes out any possibility in ones mind that you're not an idiot.)

i'd like to say "hey, it doesn't matter that this dude rides like an asshole" but fuck man, it does matter. or maybe it doesn't matter up to a point, then you cross a line and there is no way that anyone who sees you can not think you're a jerk? when you blow a 4 way stop during the afternoon commute, split traffic on narrow clinton (right in front of dots! that's narrow) then blow another 4 way stop with total disregard for the pedestrians already crossing, that is the type of shit that we all have to answer for. that's what gets burned in people's minds. you've been watching too many nyc/sf alley cat videos on youtube. knock it off.

plus at closing in on 5 pm, you didn't have any lights. i was going to flatten your tires but there were some ladies hanging out front near your bike. maybe next time.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Site Admin

Default Ouch.

Ok safety aside, but the shoe choice really should be addressed. If you're going to be a un-safe @-hole, at least dress smartly.
All kidding aside, I ride thru here everyday at least 2-3 times. It happens way too much. Clinton is a great resource for cyclists. But folks like this give everyone a bad name. I'd say at least once or twice a week, I see some ass-hat blow the red light at 7 corners as well.
Let's police it ourselves. Maybe we should make up some " tickets" to be handed out when you see some glaring safety ( and fashion) violations.

I don't really wanna be the safety wanker telling people what they should and shouldn't do, but I think that we all might need to start being that guy(gal).
Old 11-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Site Admin

I don't really wanna be the safety wanker telling people what they should and shouldn't do, but I think that we all might need to start being that guy(gal).

That's called bipolar disorder and can be treated.
In the meantime, make sure you hand out your ticket to someone smaller than you.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Site Admin

Default Perfect reason...

.....to have ID plates on bikes.

When I have the time I WILL follow someone and get in their face. I'm a big guy and don't really worry about confrontation - especially when I know I'm right.
I won't hit another human (although bad shoes are near the tipping point) but I will bring it to a close, very close, discussion.

Seems some people need a little verbal slap now and then to bring out the common sense required to ride S.E.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Exclamation fake ticket

A friend of mine found a similar commercially produced sticker that looks like a ticket and gave it to me as a joke. it's yellow and blank and reads:

BICYCLE VIOLATION
$50.00 FINE
DATE: / / OFFICER:
OFFENSE

( ) 01. DRIVING AN UGLY BIKE
( ) 02. GETTING IN THE WAY
( ) 03. BLOCKING EVERYONE ELSE
( ) 04. DUMB DRIVER VIOLATION
( ) 05. UGLY DRIVER VIOLATION

NOTES:

copyright 2003 DSG

Perhaps something like that could be modified to fit our needs?
Old 11-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
there were some ladies hanging out front near your bike...
Yes: riding like a jerk gets you laid.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Site Admin

Default please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercian70 View Post

When I have the time I WILL follow someone and get in their face. I'm a big guy and don't really worry about confrontation - especially when I know I'm right.
I won't hit another human (although bad shoes are near the tipping point) but I will bring it to a close, very close, discussion.

Seems some people need a little verbal slap now and then to bring out the common sense required to ride S.E.
big tough guy.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Site Admin

Quote:

Big does not below on a fast bike; good luck catching up.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Site Admin

Oh but for the lack of a helmet cam, the ah-di-dahs goofbiker's picture could have been posted for maximum humiliation deserved.

Last edited by wsbob; 11-16-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Site Admin

Default The Shoes

The shoe style is exactly what makes guys like this a hipster. They wear the goofiest crap they can find at the thrift store. Your (our) reaction to the shoes and outfits are exactly what they want. If most people don't like it, they love it. I think of it as a hipster uniform.

Donít get me wrong here, I am all for people being them selves. I know when I was sporting parachute pants, white leather shoes, spiked leather belt, and vertical striped shirts in the 80ís others thought I was ridiculous. But I thought I was cool.

Itís all very entertaining and great sport.