Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Site Admin

Default Right hooked at NE Broadway and 16th

This past Tuesday I was biking to work traveling west on Broadway in the bike lane. Bright, sunny morning. At 16th Avenue a driver made a right turn almost directly into me - I had no chance to react and slammed into her passenger door and the side of her hood. I'd been cruising at a decent clip in time with the traffic lights but wasn't moving at an unreasonable speed (my bike isn't that fast).

I was dazed, cut up and sore but otherwise alright. The driver was apologetic, she kept saying she had looked. She stopped and bystanders called the police. The driver talked briefly with the police and then they left.

It was my first collision on a bike and it freaked me out. I'm not biking on Broadway anymore...
Old 11-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Site Admin

Default just some thoughts

1. I hope you are OK
2. I hope your bike didn't get damaged.
3. I hope the driver got a ticket for stealing your right-of-way
4. I hope you collected witness names/numbers and the driver's name/number.

Work to Eat
Eat to Live
Live to Bike
Bike to Work
Old 11-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Site Admin

I used to take broadway every morning but instead I go down Lloyd boulevard to the steel bridge. Didnt help me though last wednesday when i got right hooked by an suv on the corner of NE Lloyd and 7th.
would like to thank the two cyclists who were behind me when it happened who didnt stop and who I could have very much used as witnesses. way to live by the bicyclist code.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Site Admin

Default Aftermath

Mike - yep, I'm okay, though hurt enough that I have to miss my soccer game and cross country running race this weekend.

My bike needs some relatively minor work - things are bent, but not broken.

I got the driver's name, ph.# and address, but the driver didn't get a ticket. I didn't even talk to the police, the driver did. I was dazed, glad to be okay, and didn't want to get into a confrontation with the driver. I didn't know what to do in that situation, basically.

As a novice city cyclist, I'm realizing finally that it can be quite a challenge, and takes real effort, to bike safely out on the streets. I recently moved to Portland and was aware of this city's great biking reputation, but sheesh, it's harsh out there.

Oregooner - sorry to hear that.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:50 AM
Site Admin

Default No - I'm not the author

I read a great book - Bicycling and the Law - it talks about what to do if you are involved in an accident.

Plus Ray Thomas has a book called Pedal Power - and that's free if you contact BTA.

Work to Eat
Eat to Live
Live to Bike
Bike to Work
Old 11-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Site Admin

Default Sorry, but it just reminded me of my favorite movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregooner View Post
way to live by the bicyclist code.
"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the repo code, kid. Don't forget it -- etch it in your brain. Not many people got a code to live by anymore."
Old 11-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Exclamation DO NOT DELAY! Time is against you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ferris-Smith View Post
Mike - yep, I'm okay, though hurt enough that I have to miss my soccer game and cross country running race this weekend.

My bike needs some relatively minor work - things are bent, but not broken.

I got the driver's name, ph.# and address, but the driver didn't get a ticket. I didn't even talk to the police, the driver did. I was dazed, glad to be okay, and didn't want to get into a confrontation with the driver. I didn't know what to do in that situation, basically.

As a novice city cyclist, I'm realizing finally that it can be quite a challenge, and takes real effort, to bike safely out on the streets. I recently moved to Portland and was aware of this city's great biking reputation, but sheesh, it's harsh out there.

Oregooner - sorry to hear that.
DO THIS NOW! DO NOT PASS GO, IT MIGHT COST YOU A LOT MORE THAN $200!

Go, Now! to http://www.stc-law.com and check out the articles... especially THIS ONE!

YOUR driver's license might be in jeapordy (I'll take suspension for $200 Alex)

My own broken leg took 3 weeks to be diagnosed... I don't have a car, I don't have car insurance.. can you imagine what my medical bills would be if I didn't follow the steps outlined? All this limping btw is hurting my back now, and my ability to ride is leading to popping blisters and raw skin from the brace... Infection could be in my future...

Get the picture?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Site Admin

Default Police didn't even ask if you were alright?

Glad to hear you are alright. did you get the driver's name, license #, insurance info? If there is damage to your bike and/or injury to yourself, you should file an accident report.

How did you know when to leave the scene? It seems a little odd that they didn't talk with you at all, but this is Portland.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Site Admin

I got her name, phone number and street address. I had to get a new front wheel but my bike isn't all that great, so it was just $24 at City Bikes to get that taken care of.

A fire truck stopped by first, I nodded at them to indicate I was alright. They took off quickly. A cop arrived a few minutes later and I had the same abbreviated, non-verbal interaction with him. The driver talked a bit to both of them.

I probably made all the mistakes that K'Tesh et. al. are warning about. It's odd - even though I'd done nothing wrong I felt embarrassed about the whole incident. I just wanted to put it behind me ASAP.

Her insurance company left me a message today. I'm calling them back tomorrow, apparently they want to "check with me" about the "incident."
Old 11-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

The typical warning applies...

Don't say anything that they might twist against you should you discover a problem.

Don't sign anything until you certain that you are fully healed...

Be Careful... God Bless
K'Tesh