Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Site Admin

Default Can I draft?

What's your opinion on drafting during commutes? I travel Springwater from OMSI to Sellwood on my way home and occasionally "hitch a ride" behind someone else.

Would that piss you off? Would you prefer someone ask? How should they ask?

Thanks for your opinion!
Old 11-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Site Admin

From my perspective, if you are going to draft me, then at some point do the favor for me and take the lead and let me draft. Seems like common courtesy.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Site Admin

I do the same thing. I've been told not to twice out of a hundred times, so most people appear to be fine with it. One a-hole actually slammed on his brakes, as though he couldn't just say "Don't draft" rather than endanger the safety of both of us. The other guy asked me to ask first.

It is standard practice to switch off so that everybody gets a break from pulling at the front.

If someone passes me, I typically draft if I can and then try to pass so they can draft about half-way along the remainder of the Sellwood-Downtown trip. Often, I can't maintain this, which isn't surprising since they passed me. But it's a good faith attempt.

Anyway, you can draft me.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Site Admin

Default funny

drafting can be a funny thing. sometimes when i pass someone they get insulted (or something) and decide to pass me. i sort of take this as a free pass to draft that person until they get tired. they can then try and draft me if they've got anything left.

overall, i don't mind if people draft me because i tend to keep a steady pace, and its not as if i have to work any harder when they draft me. so go ahead and draft.

also, when i draft people i tend stay aware of what's in front of the person i'm drafting to prevent accidents.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Site Admin

Default Caveat Drafter

Why would you?
People seem to forget that drafting successfully depends on establishing trust of drafter and draftee. The drafter is depending on the draftee to negotiate traffic and road hazards with plenty of time for the drafter to react. It's a skill that doesn't come easily or without danger. So, you can draft me but you'd better step up and take a pull once in a while and if you rear-end me you'll be in a world of grief. And dont ever forget, the rider in back always goes down.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Site Admin

Default Feel free to draft

just note that if you haven't said Hi or Nice Calves, Mind If I Suck Your Wheel For A Bit or something along those lines, I'm going to clearing obstacles by centimeters until you catch a pedal on that trailer fender (or, worse, one of those low-flying line knuckles along the waterfront).

And I won't be looking back to check on you, because as far as I'm concerned, you were never there. Them's the hard knocks. You want to play out your favorite scene from Breaking Away by pacing me up Williams? Play hard and play for keeps. (Hey, I can't blame you: I'm a widebody and I'm sure I punch a nice big hole.)

Some doofus whipped by my right as I clipped in after a red light the other night. I put my halogen right up his tailpipe and he towed me all the way up the hill. He was struggling for breath at the top. "Thanks for the pull, knucklehead." Shoom and I was gone.

Not sure what I proved, but it felt really right.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Site Admin

Default I don't like it

Last year someone hooked onto me on the Springwater and it scared me and ruined my commute that morning. I commute as a form of relaxation prior to starting work. I don't want to have to worry about someone bumping my back wheel if I don't maintain a steady pace. I don't even want to maintain a steady pace. I want to look around, drink some water, lollygag as I please. In hindsight, I should have said something but I didn't know what to say. Next time I will say something.

Work to Eat
Eat to Live
Live to Bike
Bike to Work
Old 11-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Site Admin

You can draft me if you want, but I'm slow. And please don't bump into my wheel or get mad when I don't go faster, or go faster and then slower but sort of randomly, because I sometimes don't keep a steady pace.

And let me know you're back there; I'm not always riding in my mirror (that is, looking to see who's back there) so you may startle me if I don't know you're there. Besides, how am I going to know to point out problems if I don't know there's someone back there to point them out to?

And it's always polite to return the favor and let me draft off you. You're going to have to go my pace though, for it to count as a returned favor.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Site Admin

If someone passes me, I feel they are giving me an invitation to draft. If traffic allows, I don't just ride up behind someone and stay behind them though.

I actually like to draft and be drafted. It's real motivation to keep my speed up. So if you see a 200+ lb guy on a blue jake the snake, it's probably me. Feel free to draft.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Site Admin

My boyfriend and I draft....or more like I draft him when we do ride together. I really like drafting now that I understand it, but here's my concern.

Everyone keeps saying drafting is cool, but return the favor. My problem is if I am drafting someone bigger then me (i'm 5ft) will you get any benefit out of drafting me?? How does that work?