Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruizer View Post
Like it or not, the Springwater Trail after dark reveals an arena of modern life where men have a bit more freedom than women.
Well, actually, women and men have the same freedom to use the trail, it's something else you're perceiving holds women back /should hold women back.

Using both phrases "after dark" and "arena of modern life" as you do, it sounds like you think darkness is inherently more dangerous (more likely to incur violence) and that modernity is inherently more safe... neither of which is really true, when you think about it.

Personally, I don't believe I'm more at risk of being stopped, mugged, raped, or killed during the night than the daytime; I should probably in fact be more worried about it during the day...

It's great to hear that (Oregonsis attorneuius) you're ready already to stop and help. That's nice to hear
Old 11-21-2007, 08:29 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguyonabike View Post
I've also wondered if there's some reflector technology that would be added to the edges (not middle) of these dark paths. They use them in the streets. Some blue reflectors could easily keep us on the trail and maybe dissolve some sense of the deep isolation of the dark. I would like to suggest it to Tri-met as they rebuild the 205 path, but sure who to direct it to.
Portland Parks & Recreation - they both own and maintain the Springwater Trail.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:33 AM
Site Admin

I also ride the Springwater Trail (although since I'm moving, it'll be less regular), and I will absolutely intervene if I see anyone being harassed, intimidated or assaulted on the trail. (while dialing 911 of course)

I'm a big believer in community, and we've all got to look out for each other.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Site Admin

Default i'll stop

I will stop as well if I see someone in trouble. Man or woman. And other creatures

My girlfriend and I stopped to offer assistance to a woman who had been arguing with a very irate-looking man. He was flailing his arms and yelling and she was crying. By the time we had turned around he had sped off on his bike (some janky fixed gear conversion). Apparently he had locked her bike to the bench they were arguing near, and had left with the key. We asked if she needed help, but she insisted that she didn't. He came back and we reluctantly and very slowly started pedaling away. We stalled and watched from a distance and the guy kept looking over at use warily. With what looked like reluctance he unlocked her bike and had stopped yelling and flailing. So we left.

Wouldn't you know that around a month or so later they were back. Arguing at the same bench.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Site Admin

I've sent e-mails to Portland Parks and to Tri-met about the possibility of reflectors. I'm not expecting much from PP&R, but Trimet has full construction to complete on the upcoming 2009 205 bike path.
Here's the link to Tri-Met's comments if any of you future users of 205 want to chime in: http://www.trimet.org/contact/comments.htm
Wouldn't it be cool to ride a dark path framed in reflective blue by from our lights?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Site Admin

Default My detour

I used to regularly ride the Springwater from Johnson Creek Blvd to Lloyd Center. I've changed my route this year because the Springwater is too dark for me. Critters wandering around, people moving around, super-bright bike lights approaching and blinding me.

Now I ride from Sunnyside Rd to 92nd. I follow the bike path signs north to Burnside. Then I take Burnside/Davis/Ankeny (follow bike path signs) to NE 12th Street and then to Lloyd Center. I can relax a bit since this route is much better lit.

My only problem is coming home. I get to the top of the hill at Bob Schumacher Drive (92nd st) and Otty Rd and then I go downhill and have to dodge glass in the bike path.

I've called Clackamas Road Maintenance twice and after the holiday, I'll call a third time.

My 2 cents.

Work to Eat
Eat to Live
Live to Bike
Bike to Work
Old 11-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Site Admin

Mike
I gave up on the 92nd St hill. Going south, I veer down Fuller where it goes under 205. Where it ends I've found a series of alleys behind the big box retailers starting @ Walmart and going all the way to Clack Town Center. It just grated me to go up Schmacher only to go down again. After a few trial and errors you'll find it flows pretty easily, traffic is low and respectful and very little glass compared to the street. I see you headed the opposite way in the afternoons but rarely in the mornings. I'm on the road ~6-6:30 AM and have found the bike lane on 82nd south of Walmart very usable. Traffic's not bad that early. Glass can be a problem, but where isn't it in Clackamas Co?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Site Admin

Wink Thanks for the tip

Thanks for the tip Oldguy - I'll give it a try.

Work to Eat
Eat to Live
Live to Bike
Bike to Work
Old 11-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Site Admin

Other than dodging the ninjas I've not had any problems.