Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Site Admin

Default shoe covers?

I have never used them, so I picked up some cheap shoe covers to see if I liked them.

I used them for the first time this morning, and I noticed that on the foot that put down, the road has already started to chew up the fabric.

For those of you that use them, how do you guys keep this from happening?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Site Admin

Pearl Izumi makes booties that leave the front and back of the sole exposed, I've even worn them mountain biking. The ones that cover the whole sole or make you cut out where the cleat comes through aren't very well suited for riding where you need to put your foot down a lot.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Site Admin

Default Duct tape

I too noticed the pavement nicking up my shoe covers. I put duct tape on the sensitive spots and months later.....it is still working !
Old 11-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff View Post
I have never used them, so I picked up some cheap shoe covers to see if I liked them.

I used them for the first time this morning, and I noticed that on the foot that put down, the road has already started to chew up the fabric.

For those of you that use them, how do you guys keep this from happening?
Gore makes a waterproof shoe cover with a kevlar bottom. You pay more but it's guaranteed for life so should be the last one you'll need.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Site Admin

I'm so over shoe covers. Does anyone have any Answer or Lake or similar cycling boots? Someone who uses the locker room at my building has a pair of
Answers and they look awesome. But I can't freaking figure out where the hell to buy them.

Any ideas?

Or does anyone here work at M Financial Plaza and happen to own these Answers?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdoom View Post
I'm so over shoe covers. Does anyone have any Answer or Lake or similar cycling boots? Someone who uses the locker room at my building has a pair of
Answers and they look awesome. But I can't freaking figure out where the hell to buy them.

Any ideas?

Or does anyone here work at M Financial Plaza and happen to own these Answers?
I got some of the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Mid GTX shoes a couple of weeks ago. I had to guess at the size and special-order them. I'm giving them a tentative thumbs-up. I rode into work today in the downpour; feet are dry. But that's only 20+ minutes. I need a multi-hour wet ride for a full test.

As for finding the owner of those boots - you could leave a note in the locker room.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Site Admin

I just got a pair of Endura shoe covers.. and they're toasty. They're made of neoprene have 3m scotchlite reflective strips on the back where the zipper is and the endura logo in scotchlite on the front. The cool part is the Kevlar fabric bottom which will be really hard to wear out and through... and for $50 not bad considering the Gore Booties with the Kevlar bottom are like $85 right now at Bike Gallery.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by artizin View Post
I just got a pair of Endura shoe covers.. and they're toasty. They're made of neoprene have 3m scotchlite reflective strips on the back where the zipper is and the endura logo in scotchlite on the front. The cool part is the Kevlar fabric bottom which will be really hard to wear out and through... and for $50 not bad considering the Gore Booties with the Kevlar bottom are like $85 right now at Bike Gallery.
Rrrrreeeeeeeealy? I like my Endura shorts and I've got a pair of Endura trousers coming into Bike n' Hike that I've got high hopes for, so I'm sold on the company. And I'm having trouble finding the answers (although I finally found answer-products.com, what a stupid company name for the Google age)

You say the "kevlar bottom", is the whole sole covered or are there spaces for cleats?

Where did you get them? Bike Gallery?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:38 AM
Site Admin

Default cycling boots

Specialized has some winter cycling boots in their 2008 Catalog, pricey however.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Site Admin

Default Performance

I have a pair of Performance brand neoprene booties that have a rubber sole and a rear zipper. I've had them for about seven years now and they are holding up great. Keep my feet very dry and warm, even after hosing off the bike, and my feet accidentally. Inexpensive at $39.99, and currently on sale for $24.99 in the latest catalog.