Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Cheap Reflective material... and applications

I was in a local Dollar Tree (or was it Big Lots!) when I spotted a cheap reflective material in the pet aisle. Dog leashes. I saw that they came in several colors, Red, Blue, Black, and Purple... I'm sure that there are other colors, but I didn't see 'em.

I had a spare buck, so I shelled out for one, and started modifications for using it on my bike.

I sewed short lengths of it to the straps of my backpack to improve my passive visiblility. Then I used the leftovers to make backpack danglers.

To make a backpack dangler, you need:

Reflective dog leash, or collar
Super Glue
1 inch diameter Split-Ring from a keychain
Cigarette Lighter

Cut off your desired length dangler with an extra inch or two from the dog leash (mine is 10" long, so I cut off 11"). Then to prevent fraying, heat seal the edges with the lighter. While the edges are still hot, you can squash them between a couple of flat surfaces to make them look better.

Fold the extra inch or two over, and use the superglue to form a loop for the split-ring.

Use the spit-ring to attach the dangler to the bottom of your backpack. Typically you can find a strap, or if you can't, just sew (or glue) a loop of extra leash to it.

As you ride along, it will flip around in the breeze and catch the eye of passing cars.

Be Safe out there
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 11-03-2007 at 10:31 AM.