Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Site Admin

Default NE Killingsworth/30th to Downtown

Just moved to the NE Killingsworth area and I'd like to know how everyone else from around here gets to work downtown.

I've been taking NE Goings to NE 15th, down to Broadway, and across the Broadway Bridge.

NE 15th is a bit busy and not very bike-friendly. Is there another nearby North-South route that's a better (besides Vancouver - I don't want to trek all the way over that far)
Old 11-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Site Admin

Why wouldn't you take N Vancouver? You ride right by it on Broadway as you go down to the bridge. Just take Killingsworth or one of the other less heavily traveled east/west streets to N Vancouver and take that down to Broadway and over the bridge. Vancouver/Williams is one of the nicest streets for bike commuting.

If you don't want to take N Vancouver, you could try taking NE 7th instead of NE 15th down to Broadway. I haven't ridden that street during commute times, but other times of the day it has less traffic than NE 15th. But it doesn't have striped bike lanes, so you still are dealing with being a part of the car traffic.

I think most people here will recommend that you go over the N Vancouver if you are concerned with riding in traffic on NE 15th. On the Vancouver/Williams couplet, you get some nice wide bike lanes (some of the widest in Portland) and there is lots of bike traffic to keep you company.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Site Admin

My route would be 30th -> Skidmore -> Vancouver. Then I'd go straight to Steel Bridge lower level, or the Russell -> Page bike route to Broadway.

I agree with nelson_fisher; Vancouver Avenue is your best bet for the bulk of your southbound travel. Why the aversion to it?
Old 11-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Site Admin

Default Downtown From Killingsworth

This is one of my Std routes on my Daily Commute to Beaverton. I start at 39th & Killingsworth and will sometimes take 37th to Stanton, to 28th to Halsey and Halsey to 21st. That cuts out alot of lights, but would mean biking west to 37th for you.

SEE:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1430425
Old 11-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Site Admin

No aversion to Williams/Vancouver. I rode that route to work everyday when I lived off Mississippi. Just couldn't find a good east/west route to get over there. Taking alberta down can be dicey at commute hours.

So I'll give Skidmore a try tomorrow morning. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Site Admin

Cool; let us know how you like it. (Prescott's another decent alternative.)
Old 11-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Site Admin

Skidmore worked well. Only complaint is a lot of "slowing down" and starting up again for stop signs every other block - but that's the norm living around Alberta .

Thanks for the tip again - looks like I have my new route to Vancouver/Williams
Old 11-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Site Admin

Yeah, sweet!
Old 11-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Site Admin

vancouver / williams is where it's at. my only rush hour gripe is getting stuck behind caravans of people who are slower than I am. not that I'm especially fast on a 40x17 ss mtb with knobby tires, but there are some seriously slow people out there. luckily most are absent by the time 6pm rolls around.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Site Admin

I live at 33rd/Ainsworth and biked to SW.
I flew down the Alameda Ridge on 18th going N to S, very pleasant residential street. Then usually took Knott over to that Red Cross area at vancouver, went on Vancouver for just a block, turned right and immediate left onto the side street to come out on B'way.
From there its either across the bridge or in my case....another few miles across Steel Bridge, down to S Waterfront, etc.