Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Site Admin

Cool SpokePOV

How 'bout these programmable spoke lights for peripheral coverage?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Site Admin

Default Dinotte Sale

These are for AA battery lights not the LI versions, but just add your own AA rechargable battteries & charger and get great lights for an unbelievable price! : From DiNotte:

Customer appreciation weekend. We're having a big sale on our AA headlight and AA taillight. DiNotte Lighting invites all customers and non customers to participate in a very special offer. Starting on Friday at midnight we will have two items available at unprecedented prices. DiNotte AA headlight - Our full featured 200 lumen headlight, standard 12 inch cord length, including the headlight, battery holder, and handlebar mount only (batteries, charger and helmet mount deleted) for a weekend only price of 99.00 USD + shipping and handling. (International orders MUST go EXPRESS mail) Link: http://store.dinottelighting.com/Product55 DiNotte AA Taillight - The Taillight everyone raves about that never goes on sale is on sale this weekend only. System includes taillight engine, battery holder and taillight mount (batteries and charger deleted) $100.00 USD+ shipping and handling. (International orders MUST go EXPRESS mail)Link: http://store.dinottelighting.com/Product56
Old 10-26-2007, 06:42 AM
Site Admin

Default /cry

so sad. i would love to have both, but my lights are working fine atm. just couldn't justify it.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Site Admin

Thanks Pdxrunner for the heads-up. I ordered a DiNotte 200L this morning and it was shipped by noon (Wow, I'm impressed ).

Amazon.com is selling the Planet Bike SuperFlash for $16.95 right now. For those who don't want to spend $100 on a DiNotte taillight (such as myself), using two SuperFlash lights is the next best thing you can do IMHO.

My lighting setup:

Helmet:

- Front: River Rock 85 lumen Luxeon K2 LED headlamp ($25 from Target), blinking during day and dusk, and solid high at night in unlit/low light areas.
- Left side: There is a red LED light on the battery pack of the River Rock, so I mounted it on the left side of my helmet and have it in the blink mode to increase side visibility at night.
- Back: Planet Bike SuperFlash ($20.40 from REI).

Handle bar:

- Cat Eye HL-EL530 ($36 from REI, a waste of money!): pointing down to illuminate the roads in front of me. This light is not powerful enough by itself for unlit streets. I'm getting by with the help of the headlamp and the Yukon (see below).
- Planet Bike Beamer 1 (part of a $25 combo): pointing straight (and slightly up) in blinking mode constantly. I'm not sure this is even useful, but I want something blinking in the front when my headlamp is in solid mode.

Fork (just above the brake):

- Princeton Tec Yukon (< $9 (closeout price) from REI): pointing to the roads -- off or in 3-LED mode when riding in lit streets, and Xenon beam when riding in unlit streets.

Back: Cheapo blinkers, one on the rack and the other on the rack trunk.

I'm hoping that the DiNotte 200L will replace the Cat Eye HL-EL530 and the Yukon, and another SuperFlash will replace the blinker on the rack. I'm going to upgrade the LED in the Cat Eye HL-EL530 with a SSC Seoul P4 (U-bin) and use it as a backup.

Why? My commute is 16 miles round-trip between Northwest Hills and Hillsboro including a high-traffic/narrow/no shoulder road (NW Cornell), with unlit/low light areas, steep hills, and inattentive drivers.

Last edited by Let's Bike; 10-26-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Site Admin

front: NiteRider MiNewt (original)
rear: Blackburn Mars 2.0 blinkie
helmet:
front - Cateye EL-410 in flasher mode (husband just appropriated it), or Black Diamond LED headlamp, also in flasher mode
rear - a completely annoying, random pattern led flasher that I got from Team Estrogen
GloGlovs on the hands
Reflective stripes on the jacket
I need to put reflective tape on my crankarms and rims...

Dream setup:
front wheel with Schmidt SON28 dynohub and B&M Lumotec IQ Fly Senseo Plus light
Old 11-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Site Admin

I need some rear lighting I'll be picking some up today... but for full frontal lighting, I have a helmet mounted niterider evolution Halogen, and a handlebar mounted Niterider HID Moab. Pretty much when I have both going it's really hard to miss me on a trail or the road.
Once I had a car flash thier lights at me because I was too bright on the street, and I turned one of them off. And when I have both of them on, and I cross beams... it can be soo bright as to wash everything out... no shadows. Kinda odd, And when I use the Hid or the evolution.. my wireless bike computer goes haywire claiming that I'm doing about 57mph when i'm really doing 20mph....

So if you see this bright blinding ball of light on the bike path from Sellwood to downtown at night it might be me. I'll try not to blind you.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Site Admin

Default "Daddy flashes!"

Front: L/M Solo MV handlebar mounted; P/B Beamer 5 handlebar mounted.
Rear: P/B Superflash underseat mounted; Blackburn Mars 3.0 bag mounted

etc: Timbuck2 Pro Series shoulder bag, black outer panels with 3M orange reflective middle panel; reflective piping on Novara jacket and tights as well as on my Salsa Bikes winter gloves.

In the pile: An old first-gen NiteRider Digital HeadTrip with a dead battery (which seems to cost as much as the whole set cost me a few years ago). Anyone have a good battery but a dead light? I'm open to negotiations.

WishList: helmet mounted halogen light, programmable spokelights as mentioned earlier in the thread or, from a different company, here:

http://www.hokeyspokes.com/

Own the night!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
GloGlovs on the hands
Those are sweet! I gotta get a pair!

Oh, and uh... to stay on topic:

Front - Blackburn Quadrant (with the interesting half steady/half blinky pattern) hopefully to be augmented with a Task Force 2C on Lockblocks.

Rear - Two (that's right ) Viewpoint Flashpoints - one on the rack trunk, one clipped to the back of my helmet. (Metro in safety zealot orange)
Old 11-12-2007, 12:31 AM
Site Admin

Default deadly serious

I'm convinced that this is such a deadly serious subject that every cyclist who rides at night in a place like Portland, especially in areas where a lot of wet pavement reflects glare from night lighting and car brakelights all around (eg., downtown) needs to do some serious research on the best lighting. And I'm becoming convinced that, for taillights, red LED blinkies DON'T CUT IT.

There is not a red LED blinker on the market, AT ANY PRICE, that holds a candle -- literally -- against the sea of car brakelights in places like downtown at night.

We are up against a serious problem here, folks. THERE IS NOTHING READILY AVAILABLE ON THE MARKET HERE.

Based on the advice at http://www.bicyclelighting.com I'm going to invest in an amber xenon strobe light to complement or replace my red blinkie. Unfortunately, it requires an electrical project unto itself to rig it up, as it is NOT self contained and requires wiring to a 12V power source -- also not readily available at reasonable size/weight, without special ordering.

The only other, quick-n-dirty alternative I could find, something called "Coghlan's Emergency Strobe Light," is also a special order, not available in any local stores. At least it is a self-contained unit requiring no wiring, though. For now I plan to use it, until I can wire up a more permanent adequate alternative.

I'm eager to share thoughts on this subject with others. I'm currently planning to embark on a special construction project to wire up two amber xenon strobe lights to a 12 V power source, along with a breaker box so that I can use the 12V/10AH NiMH battery pack I'm going to acquire for other devices that need 12V. I don't really know shit about soldering, heat shrink, etc, but I plan to learn fast.

If anyone out there has any of these skills and would be willing to help me, I'd be happy to pay you for your trouble!

Last edited by agramsci; 11-12-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking

That's Funny! I was doing a Search on Amber Strobes myself this weekend!

I didn't know about http://www.bicyclelighting.com... But as I am (or was before getting hurt) commuting after dark... on a Freeway... I thought that an amber strobe might be a really good idea!

Keep Us Posted!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 11-12-2007 at 08:23 AM.