Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Angry Bike v. Car in Beaverton (guess who lost)

I cannot believe it... All my lights, and I still get clobbered..

At the time it happened it was dark... I had my 2x MiNewt X2's on... one on low, one on flash, and my TriNewt on low

I manage to make it thru the freeway traffic on Hwy 217 (I ride on the shoulder, which is legal). I manage to make it accross the 2x 5 lane highways (BH and TV) (obeying lights and in the lanes of traffic)...

Only blocks from my apartment, and I get nailed in a (profane language would be placed here) parking lot...

(It was the parking lot in front of Jin Wah and Marine Polis... nearest cross streets are SW 117th and SW Canyon Blvd Beaverton)

I had been going straight, when.. Dummy, comes around a lane of parking, into my lane, then takes a left turn w/me as a hood ornament.

His quote, as he was handed his ticket...(Drumroll please)... "I just didn't see him."

I won't be happy w/any bike lights until they can vaporize cars.

My bike took over $300 in damages (so far, but I cant ride it to see if there is any more damages that were not visible)... my legs (esp, my left leg) hurt like HELL, and I can't sleep, can't walk, and I had to wait till 10am today to get a pair of crutches... Damn.

Oh, and the icing on the cake... the Police didn't get me his info, and when I did get it... the insurance information was wrong (insert foulest language here). However, I did manage to track down the guy, and now the insurance ball is rolling.

Edited 12/04/07 The followups on the story are Insurance Settlement.. yeah right! and, Hit on 10/12/07...3 weeks later... they find...

Last edited by K'Tesh; 12-04-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Site Admin

Default Sorry!

Sorry to hear that you are hurt.

Seeing your bike, I realized that we have met (I'm the girl asking you about bike lights at Beaverton Performance a few weeks ago).

Wish you a speedy recovery!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Default The latest info...

For the latest info, check out the Insurance Settlement... yeah right! thread.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Site Admin

Default Inconsistent Police practice

With all the recent bike accidents where driver has not been cited, K'tesh has a curious experience.

K'Tesh writes:

His quote, as he was handed his ticket...(Drumroll please)... "I just didn't see him."

Many of the other drivers appear to have made similiar claims, but there was no action from police.

Any ideas why the discrepancy? Perhaps it's a matter of Portland vs. Beaverton Police pratices? In order to not get the citation is the cyclist required to be deceased? If I run a stop sign, I can tell the officer, "I didnt' see it," but I'll still go home with a ticket; waht gives, why the inconsistency?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Site Admin

It seems to be a matter of departments. I've seen Beaverton PD be very forceful, 3 cars show up for almost anything, and I've seen them chase down someone running away in my first 2 weeks here. They do however seem to stick to real crimes or blatant traffic offenses.

Portland appears much more prone to just harassing people on bikes or in the park blocks.