Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2007, 07:12 AM
Site Admin

Unhappy Hit a possum on the Springwater

This was this morning (10/ at about 6:15am, about 1/4 mile south of the Ross Island Destruction Co's crossing, in the dark and wooded part.

I didn't even see the thing until the last second. It was under the fence separating the tracks from the trail. I was at the rightward edge of the trail going about 20. I swerved left and missed it, mostly I think, with my front wheel. I was then going almost sideways and I hit it full-on with my rear wheel. That sent me over the handlebars and to the right.

I got a bruised knee and elbow, but otherwise OK. No bike damage. I took my front light off and looked for it, but couldn't find it. I can't imagine that I didn't kill it, but it must have kept going.

This was a real bummer. I hate knowing I've hurt something.

I also had a black cat up by the Ross Island Bridge come pretty close to my bike. Be careful of the wildlife on the Springwater!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Site Admin

'Tis the season when more people are out when it's still dark!

Everyone, be aware that wildlife cycles go with the sun, not with the clock. Just because you were out there on the Corridor at 6:15 during the summer and didn't see anything, doesn't mean being out there at 6:15 in the autumn and winter you won't see anything.

Be careful! Especially in the 'burbs around wildlife corridors; I've seen a couple of coyotes in my neighborhood while walking the dog at 6:30am. Talk about disconcerting! But they're just following the waterway in the ravine at the end of my neighborhood; we let them be, they let us be, it's all good.

A.O., glad to hear you aren't injured beyond scrapes and bruises, and your bike is okay!
Old 10-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Site Admin

As freaky as it can be to have a big urban rodent step into your path I am much happier to hear that you are OK than worried about a minor thinning of Portland's 'possum herd. I appreciate the Springwater's wildlife as much and maybe more than other trail users . The annual evolution of the osprey nest, the heron and other waterfowl et al are all such bonuses to the trail. But, to be honest, I'm not too worried about one less rabid 'possum. Glad to hear you and your bike are OK.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attornatus_Oregonensis View Post

I also had a black cat up by the Ross Island Bridge come pretty close to my bike. Be careful of the wildlife on the Springwater!
Heh, I've ran over a black cat on the Springwater right before the forest park. It seems a lot of people have encountered a black cat on the path at one point or another...

Birds have been scaring me lately....they always fly away at the last second!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Site Admin

Default not funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by devtchkajenn View Post
Heh, I've ran over a black cat on the Springwater right before the forest park. It seems a lot of people have encountered a black cat on the path at one point or another...

Birds have been scaring me lately....they always fly away at the last second!
There are (as far as I can tell) 3 black cats (and one grey tabby and an orange tabby) who live just off the trail under the Ross Island bridge.

I hope the one you hit is alright. I'm usually exceptionally alert around that area because of this. Those cats are fed by other trail users, and have been spayed/neutered as a part of the spay/neuter and release program.

Please be careful!

I've also seen turtles crossing the path (i usually stop and help them across) and if I see birds (or any other form of wildlife) on the trail, I will slow down until it's safe to pass. I also saw a dead pigeon on the path a few weeks ago and removed it from the path. Also, I saw some geese with their gosslings on the path a few months ago. I slowed as to not hit them, and was passed on the left by a couple of assholes who came way too close to me and the birds.

I feel you AO. I wouldn't want to see any of those creatures get hurt, and would feel dreadful if I had caused them harm.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Site Admin

Default squirrel

Conversely, I was riding down Ankeny and a squirrel darted across the street, directly intersecting me. I locked up the rear wheel and hit the front brake and the squirrel (in a case of amazing skill, or really good luck - on the squirrel's part) managed to make it between my two tires while I was still moving at speed.

Squirrels rock!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Site Admin

They should think about relocating that colony's food supply, which will relocate the colony, as it's not in the best spot for the cats' safety.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Site Admin

Default difficult

Quote:
They should think about relocating that colony's food supply, which will relocate the colony, as it's not in the best spot for the cats' safety.
It's sort of difficult because there's a shelter which they live in that's on the track side of the trail (east), so putting their food source on the other side (west) of the trail wouldn't work...

I'm not sure where would be a good spot.

At any rate, the cats are pretty good (from what I've observed from riding on the trail 2x per day since the 3 blacks and the tabby were kittens - specifically watching out for them, me being the cat lover/nut that I am) at watching for bikes and moving across the trail quickly. There are other less agile creatures crossing the trail regularly (turtles, geese, possum) and we should be concious of that.

Last edited by mizake; 10-10-2007 at 02:25 PM. Reason: comma
Old 10-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Site Admin

The cats are pretty good, and I've found that they respond well to the bell.

The food is already illegally located along the rail right-of-way, so why not hop the fence and put it further away from the trail? That might offer the cats a little more safety.

And if you like cats, you'll love little Eli, the newest addition to our family (on Sunday):

http://picasaweb.google.com/annegately/MeetEly
Old 10-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Site Admin

Default hmmm...

Quote:
The cats are pretty good, and I've found that they respond well to the bell.

The food is already illegally located along the rail right-of-way, so why not hop the fence and put it further away from the trail? That might offer the cats a little more safety.

And if you like cats, you'll love little Eli, the newest addition to our family (on Sunday):

http://picasaweb.google.com/annegately/MeetEly
well....the guy I see feeding the cats doesn't look as if hopping over a 4' fence is something he'd be able to do on a regular basis....maybe I'm wrong...I just think the cats are going to cross the trail lots, and it probably has nothing to do with their food. Unless of course they were doing something down by the river and then got hungry and crossed back to where their food is.

Eli is ridiculously cute =D