Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Site Admin

Talking Thanks for Nothing SE Riders

So I live and bike on Hawthorne. Or at least I did, until this morning. Well, I may get on my bike again, but do to my spill this morning I'm probably not going to be able to bike for a week or two. After that, I'll decide if I want to give it another shot.

Who I would like to thank for the spill I had this morning and my now general distaste for SE, possibly Portland Riders:

1 - The guy who clipped my left pedal with his saddlebag when passing me on the Hawthorne bridge this morning. Not only did your entirely too close of a pass at 30mph cause my fall, but it also was the straw that broke my back. So thanks for convincing me not to ride. And thanks for the bruised side and tweaked knee.

2 - The guy who almost landed me in the traffic on Hawthorne bridge because he had to cut between me and the girl who I was passing. Yes, the Hawthorne bridge rideway is rather wide, but not wide enough for the three of us. Especially not when you put me against the traffic side.

3 - The guy who owns the Bianchi Virata that is "worth more than my life". Yes, his words not mine. (note: This might be true, but was it necessary to point it out to me?)

4 - Various local bike shops. Of course, the staff varies and I have had some great people helping me at the local shops. However, on the days I go in and it's "let's be a prick" day; thanks for those days. And in the words of one of your most "assy" associates, "Of course I'm right, I work in a bike shop," indeed, you do work in a bike shop. Without your murmured scoffs and obnoxious little chortles, I wouldn't be so self-conscious every time I walk in a bike shop.

5 - And last, just a general thanks to the SE bike community. When I rode in N, NW, NE, and even Gresham the other riders were so nice and ready to strike up conversation. Only in SE did I ever get dirty looks and snotty attitudes. Yea I built up my singlespeed from an older road bike. And no, I didn't put $300 wheels on my $50 frame. And yes, I get it, you ride a $500 fixie made from $140 in bike and parts.

So, thanks to everyone! You've made me the rider, or non-rider I am today.

Last edited by maxisnow; 09-19-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Site Admin

This is sad to read. I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. I don't know any of the particulars, but I hope that time will heal your emotional as well as your physical wounds.

I live near Hawthorne as well and I hope that I'm not one of the riders who exhibited a snotty attitude. Sometimes I'm just in my own little world on my bike. Sorry if I inadvertently offended you.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Site Admin

Sorry to hear of your trouble....we would love to have you here on the west side of town however! Commuting on the west side, except for the weekend warrior traffic, is a rather sparten undertaking. In fact everytime I go on the the East side I am amazed at the amount of bike traffic. If it makes you feel any better I am fourty pounds overweight and get bad looks all the time from those who spin, east side and west side. Never mind the haters though, we shall overcome and pedal on to our hearts content. I really would encourage you to not give up your pedals and keep at it. If you are ever on the west side and see a fat man on a orange bike, that's me! And don't worry, I will stop and chat if you would like and I always roll with extra patch kits, candy bars, I.P.A, and road maps. Keep up with the bike and don't let the few loose cannons sink your ship.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Site Admin

keep at it, put in headphones, make your own way. screw the yuppies!
Old 10-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Site Admin

Unhappy You're welcome ex-se biker guy

Sorry to hear you're having such a tough go at it but maybe a little better attitude would help you along your journey. I've biked/communted from the Hawthorne area for over 10 years and have over all found it to be a really good experinece. You might do well moving back to ne where you find the people a bit nicer.