Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2007, 09:17 PM
Site Admin

Default Hit on 122nd

Yesterday around 5:45pm I was heading north on 122nd to pick-up a couple books from the Midland library. I was almost there all I had to do is cross the street and go about 100 more feet. So I stopped at the cross-walk, beeped my airzound horn to get the traffics attention (they are required to yield). One truck had stopped in the lane closest to me and it appeared the other lane was also clear to cross. I was making my way across the first two lanes while sounding my horn to get the attention of the other two lanes of traffic west of me. While I was still in the second lane a car struck me. The guy stopped, held out his hand to help me up (like its really a good idea to try and get up after something like that, even if I could!). luckily there was a fire truck just behind the traffic and came to my aid quickly. Ambulance strapped me to a board, and took me to the hospital. After being checked out, I was released later that night. The good news, the guy did have insurance. I was wondering if anyone would have any advise on making a claim with his insurance company? Also, isn't there a new law that requires drives to pay a $10,000 fine if they hit a cyclists, or something like that?
________
volcano classic vaporizer

Last edited by PDXfly; 01-17-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Site Admin

Consult an attorney.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Site Admin

That's a sure way to kill'd in my neck of the woods. I thought they just passed the law that said you need to raise your hand to get traffic to stop... no?

When people pay little attention to sirens, why would you think they'd associate that horn to your bike? Seems it would act more like a distraction than a warning.

I was out riding my recumbent trike yesterday... you know, lights, flags, and bright colors moving the right way down the bike lane (my lane!)... and I still stop for cars who may or may not have seen me. Not until I get that nod from a potential threat do I move forward. My lane, my right of way, or not... I am vulnerable and therefore responsible my own health and welfare. Accident avoidance goes a lot further than compensation.

Hope all will work out well in your situation.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Site Admin

Default I agree....

Simple Nature is right....Just because one lane of traffic stops dosnt mean the other lane is stoped, or going to stop. The one time I was hit(over 10 years ago), was when a driver motioned for me to cross and the other driver had no idea I was coming. So one major rule is I dont trust any drivers unless I have solid eye contact, or hand signal. Or both!!