Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Site Admin

Default TriMet Bus turns right

Thursday, August 30th 4:30pm
Intersection of N Interstate and Multnomah

I'm heading north on Interstate about to go by the Rose Garden and a TriMet bus (#2101 on route 70) pulls out in front of my. It was close enough I had to grab my brakes not to smack into them. We both pull up at a red light on the corner of Interstate and Multnomah. I wave to the driver to make sure she me. She saw me and let me know what she thought of me by shouting at me to stay out of her way. Ignoring her, I wait for the light to turn green and having the right of way I start heading straight. Bus #2101 turned right...at me. Slamming on my breaks, again, I stopped in the middle of the bike lane and gave the driver a piece of my mind. I'm sure it came out something like, "Pardon me, but I think you want to occupy the space I'm already in." She yells at me to get out of the way. If it wasn't for the cars behind the bus, I might have held my ground a bit longer.

I headed up Interstate and back home, immediately calling TriMet when I got home.

Tim
Old 08-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Site Admin

I'm sure your perceptions of having the right-of-way are sorely mistaken. Remember... size matters! And she had her hands on a BIG ONE and wasn't about to let go.

Just remember, in Portland proper, Trimet is a protected entity. You are in the wrong unless you have witnesses... and then you will still be found wrong.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Site Admin

Oh, and welcome to BikeForums
Old 09-05-2007, 05:08 AM
Site Admin

Default Sounds Great

But, just remember that if YOU bike in ANY Transit center you are liable for a ticket by the police. I have had at least 2, including an exclusion for biking in a clearly marked transit center. In other words get off your bike in transit centers and act like a pedestrian. If an officer saw you blocking the bus you would have also got cited for blocking transit. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Also remember the hawthorne bridge incident? you just did the same thing.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Site Admin

Default trimet vs. cyclists

Isn't there a bumper sticker about ending the Portland trimet monopoly?

Anyhow yeah, there was a big long article written about trimet vs. bicyclists a while back. No bicyclist can win against trimet, even if the driver was completely wrong, you wont win. It sucks.

http://bikeportland.org/2006/01/13/cyclist-sues-trimet/

http://bikeportland.org/2006/11/09/d...ght-vs-trimet/

http://bikeportland.org/2007/01/17/t...ne-year-later/
Old 09-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Site Admin

Good find, Bikerin. It all goes to show that if for some reason a bike lane is incapacitated by lack of maintenance or other service work slated within the path, it is our right and duty to take our lane in such a manner that it cannot be compromised without blatent negligence. I ride a trike and I feel a whole lot more visible when I am in the middle of my lane, and when passing parked cars, fully over to the left. At that point, minimum following distances must be observed by all following traffic, including busses which at normal cruzing speed is a minimum of 2 car lengths. If you are being crowded by anyone following to close, you have the right to file a complaint. And I would highly recommend stopping and gather whatever information you can reasonably record at the time of the incident including witnesses, names of offenders, and vehicle license numbers. Sure you can offer that they pull out of the direct traffic lane but if they refuse, conduct your business right there. With any luck, one of PDX's finest will happened along as well.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:21 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikelikethewind View Post
Thursday, August 30th 4:30pm
Intersection of N Interstate and Multnomah

I'm heading north on Interstate about to go by the Rose Garden and a TriMet bus (#2101 on route 70) pulls out in front of my.
Are you sure you were on Interstate and not Wheeler?
http://tinyurl.com/2khgk3

The #70 normally comes up on Wheeler and turns right onto Multnomah. If you were on Wheeler, then the bus had the right-of-way since bicycles are prohibited on that stretch of the street (which is legal, the ORS provides for local municipalities to close sections of streets to bicycle traffic). If that's the case, then Tri-Met isn't going to do anything.

OTOH, if you were on Interstate (which goes left of the Rose Garden, and has a bike lane), then the bus driver violated at least 2 traffic laws.

Tri-Met has been very responsive when I've had issues with them. Generally Tri-Met drivers are pretty aware of and courteous towards cyclists in my experience, but there are a few glaring exceptions. YMMV, of course.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Site Admin

I have had a few 'incidents' with Tri-met buses. My latest was surprising.
I approached a light. The bus was second behind a car. I was even with the middle of the bus when the light changed. I was riding through the intersection when the bus started to pull to the right to stop at the bus stop on the far side of the intersection. I started to brake about the same the driver must have noticed me (dawn, I had a solid headlight and a flashing headlight) and pulled back to the left and allowed me to pass the in my 'marked bike lane'.

Sometimes the Tri-met drivers are aware of cyclists. I am now 1 for 5.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Site Admin

Default Well trained off Hawthorne

We have it pretty good coming off the Hawthorne both directions. Inbound there is that messy Rt Turn lane onto 4th and the buses are good about letting us get past before turning in.

They're also pretty respectful on the bridge proper from what I've seen, but man we sure endanger a lot of folks stepping off the bus at that stop just before the bridge. They step off right into the bike path. We gotta collectively slow down when a bus is there. I try but the Greg LeMond wannabee behind me gets ticked off.

Then outbound taking that right turn at Burgerville for Ladd Circle - another hair raiser, but the drivers have been pretty good for the most part.

The #10 drivers must get special training...