Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2007, 07:21 AM
Site Admin

Default Best chain lube for rainy weather

It did not seem that this one has been discussed before...
What I was wondering is what chain lubes do people use for winter commuting. I am using Pedros Extra Dry and dont like the way dirt seems to cling to it.

Any lubes that stay clean in wet and dirty conditions?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2007, 09:01 AM
Site Admin

I'm partial to White Lightning Epic. If the weather is going to be truly over the top bad, and I'm doing a long ride (long >= 6hrs) I'll pull out the Finish Line Cross County, knowing that I will have to clean my chain sometime soon thereafter.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Site Admin

Default white lightning

WL works well. I apply after every rainy ride. But make sure to lube with teflon lube (tri-flow) every 20 miles or so.

Every 100 miles or so, soak your chain in gas or white-gas to get ride of the gunk.

Every 500 miles, consider replacing your chain depending on wear/stretch.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondofresh View Post
WL works well. I apply after every rainy ride. But make sure to lube with teflon lube (tri-flow) every 20 miles or so.

Every 100 miles or so, soak your chain in gas or white-gas to get ride of the gunk.

Every 500 miles, consider replacing your chain depending on wear/stretch.
and with all that obsessing you have time to ride when?

pro link is what i use...when my chain sounds starts to sound dry, but more often in winter.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Site Admin

My husband is a user of Pro-Link. We've got a diverse selection of chain lubes sitting on the bike tool box

Just remember, there is White Lightning and White Lightning EPIC. Epic is for wet conditions.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Site Admin

Default tri flow

i use tri flow year round. when i get home at the end of a rainy day, i wipe down the bike and esp. the chain. re-apply the tri flow maybe a couple of times per week and wipe off the excess. this has worked fantastically for the 7 years i've been biking in portland.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Site Admin

I've been commuting for 10+ years, about 1500 miles per year. I never found the need for anything more than WD40 sprayed on a rag and then freewheel the pedals so the chain moves through the rag.

I've only had to replace the chain once (after 7 years).

During the dry months, I lube the chain every 2 weeks. During the rainy months 1 to 2 times a week, depending on how gritty the chain gets.

Of course, your mileage may vary.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Site Admin

Default Beware WD40

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse View Post
I've been commuting for 10+ years, about 1500 miles per year. I never found the need for anything more than WD40 sprayed on a rag and then freewheel the pedals so the chain moves through the rag.

I've only had to replace the chain once (after 7 years).

During the dry months, I lube the chain every 2 weeks. During the rainy months 1 to 2 times a week, depending on how gritty the chain gets.

Of course, your mileage may vary.
WD40 is not actually a lubricant, but a very thin solvent which evaporates quickly. It can be used for cleaning, but I would not suggest using it solely as a lubricant.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Site Admin

Default More WD40 info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizake View Post
WD40 is not actually a lubricant, but a very thin solvent which evaporates quickly. It can be used for cleaning, but I would not suggest using it solely as a lubricant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wd40

50%: Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits, also commonly known as dry cleaning solvent)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant, carbon dioxide is used now to reduce considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients

Okay, so it's not entirely a solvent, (15% mineral oil) but still not suitable as a bike chain lubricant.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Site Admin

Wow... this is a pretty tame discussion on chainlube. To many forums have this debate a few times a year when a new kid shows up on the block. I'm afraid I don't have much to offer as I am a fair weather rider... but I love the civility!

Oh, and my trike stays in the house, so if you can lean toward stuff that doesn't smell bad, all the better. I'm using Dumonde Tech Lube light but it has a bad habit of letting the chain rust with only an incling of wet.

Teflon, wax, oil are your real choices. If you have nickel plated or stainless chains, rust shouldn't be an issue and teflon should fit the bill, otherwise, a sticky greasy oil is the only thing that will protect the chain... but that means grit.

The stuff they put on chains from the factory is cosmoline. It fills all the crevises of the chain so grit won't go inside but it will get quite dirty on the outside. They dip the chain in a hot vat of it so it gets all the way inside. It also does a number on mucking up the cogs. Teflon and wax will remain reasonably clean and dry. Problem being that chain life will probably be reduced as grit starts working its way into the workings of the chain.