Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Site Admin

Default Track Stands

I want to learn how to track stand, as it will make my commute to OHSU that much better.

I've read some of the "how to" guides, such as Asa's Team Estrogen article, but people are different, so what has worked for you?

How long did it take you to learn? What tips do you recommend for learning it? Did it finally just click, and you got it, or was it a gradual learning?

Thanks for the help!
-Sara-
Old 03-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Site Admin

The best tip for starting out would be to work on a very slight incline with your front wheel headed uphill and the rest of your bike at an angle across the incline. Apply pedal pressure, then allow the bike to roll back a couple inches. Repeat, and you'll rock back and forth. Being able to trackstand on flat ground takes a bunch more practice, but this method will get you going pretty quickly and allow you to get a feel for it.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Site Admin

Default Track Stands

Hi Sara,

Track stands: "The Healthy Alternative to Running Red Lights."

Not to say that you need a new rig, but the one thing that really helped my track stand was riding a fixed gear. Before that, all I was doing was the ultra slow roll/wobble. With the fixie, you can back pedal and really work the roll that Brock was talking about. It helps you really learn how to control the bike while standing, and after a while it is easier than clipping out. The other thing I would mention is that in addition to rocking forward and backward, you also have a little play left and right. When on a geared bike, you kind of have to work the breaks at first, with one leg ready to push if you lose balance.

This kind of goes without saying, but it just takes practice. Find something smooth and on an incline to start out, and just go at it. I have been doing them for about a year, and you really can learn it quick if you try. I should also mention that my wife is the real expert. She goes no handed at the drop of a hat.

Other thoughts: Think about your bellybutton. Think about your bike as a tripod with the front wheel as two points of the triangle. Its more about the pedals than the brakes. Don't try to do it sitting down.

Look here for inspiration: http://homepage.mac.com/biketv_chann...eTheater2.html

Every intersection has its sweet spot,

Austin
Old 03-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Site Admin

Thanks for the tips so far.

It worries me that I keep reading that a fixie makes all the difference. I have a hard enough time biking up the hill to OHSU (over 300' elevation gain in under 2 miles) in my granny gear!

Keep 'em coming!
-Sara-
Old 03-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Site Admin

I'm sure some folks can do it but to my mind, the best thing about riding a fixed gear bike up Sam Jackson is that there is a hospital up there.... then there's the ride down. :D

Bill
Old 03-31-2006, 09:02 AM
Site Admin

Default OHSU

Well, I would say that if you want to consider a fixie, you likely have two options:

1) Ride the fixie on the days you don't go to OHSU for practice, or
2) Ride the fixie and become the best cyclist of all time.

All joking aside, it really does help you learn, and then you can take those skills to your regular bike.

If its not fixed, its broken,

Austin