Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Site Admin

Default Looking for Advice on UBI

I'm looking to get into frame building / bike mechanics. I have some knowledge and skill in welding and basic bike maintenance but I'm going to need a lot more. I've looked into UBI and was wondering if anyone has gone there and what they think, or if there is any other place to go.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Site Admin

Spent two weeks there in May and loved it. Came away with the basics of bike repair and the tools to figure out almost anything. Great staff and instructors. The only downside for me was they use clean bikes
with new grease so you don't get your hands dirty, not that this is a bad thing but, plan on getting your hands dirty when you work on bikes in a shop environment. Very few people ever clean their bikes.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Site Admin

I took the basic class a few years ago and thought it was very good. Took several bikes with me to work on in addition to the bikes at school and they were ok with that. I used to be a welder in my youth and did wander over to check out the frame building classes. This was a big mistake as now I simply must return and see if I can still remember how to run TIG, light a torch, etc. It looked really good.... Also Ashland is great town with a nice trail right up behind Lithia park in town that has some good single track, and if you are roadie there is great loop just east of town. I stayed at the schools hostel and was cheap and handy.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback! I'm gonna give them a call this week to see if I can't get in sometime in early '08.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Site Admin

I don't think that should be a problem. I'm heading down there this weekend to take some classes and I registered about 3 months ago. So if you call now you may be able to get in around December or so.