Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Site Admin

Default Marine Drive

Is Marine Drive east of I-5 safe to ride? I'd like to use it to get to Troutdale. Thanks
Old 08-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Site Admin

Default Marine drive safe...

I've ridden Marine Drive from Troutdale a few times. There are a few pinch points to be careful for but a lot of it is dedicated bike/ped path. Be seen!
Old 08-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Site Admin

Default 205 East to Troutdale

I took Marine Drive from 205 east to Troutdale. I think it's fine. There is a multi-use path that parallels Marine Drive but I haven't taken it because you can't see the Columbia river from the MUP. However, if I were taking children, I'd be on the MUP.

Work to Eat
Eat to Live
Live to Bike
Bike to Work
Old 08-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_khad1 View Post
I took Marine Drive from 205 east to Troutdale. I think it's fine. There is a multi-use path that parallels Marine Drive but I haven't taken it because you can't see the Columbia river from the MUP. However, if I were taking children, I'd be on the MUP.
The MUP crosses over back and forth across Marine Drive. For some stretches it is on the river side, and is quite pleasant. I'd probably avoid it eastbound, though, since the non-river-side ain't great. I'm usually westbound from I-205 to I-5, so it's a relief from auto traffic.

Jeff
Old 08-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Site Admin

Default there is a bypass for part of it.

as youleave I5, peddle about 1/2 mile east on marine drive, hang left into the neighborhood (past the newish strip mall) and you will avoid about a mile of the crappy part of marine drive. i normally ride marine drive mid day. i wouldnt do it during rush hour/evening because of the multitude of drivers. they drive fast in the afternoon and i 've had some close calls. i dont bother with the past that is south of marine because its kind of out the way to get to it, but it does help you avoid about a half mile of marine drive
Old 08-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Site Admin

In general, there is a lot of truck traffic on Marine Drive b/c it allows them to avoid the I-5/I-84 interchange if they're heading east. I can't say that I've ever felt endangered riding on it, but it's something to be aware of.

A nice detour off Marine Dr. is to ride around Blue Lake. Turn right off Marine onto Interlachen Lane. Follow it around the south shore of Blue Lake until you get to Blue Lake Dr. Turn right and go down to 223rd. Take a left, then a right onto the ramp leading you back up to Marine Dr. There's much less traffic this way and you avoid the traffic conflict created by the off ramp at 223rd.