Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Site Admin

Default Advice wanted on brand of U-lock to buy

I have an OnGuard U-lock, with a "Sold Secure" label on it -- whatever that means -- but now that I know the most effective way to use a U-lock, thanks to the advice given on

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

I realize I don't need to be carting around such a long lock. I would like to buy a much smaller lock and am interested in forum members' opinions of the U-locks that are currently on the market. I'm willing to spend the bucks IF I really am getting my money's worth for security.

Thanks to all who share their knowledge about this
Old 08-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Site Admin

The longer U-locks are perfectly reasonable - particularly if you have a quick-release front wheel you're trying to secure as well. Just be sure to "fill the space" with as much stuff as possible, don't just lock the top tube to the rack and off you go.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Site Admin

I agree with wyeast, a longer U-lock isn't always a bad thing. What you want is to leave as little space as possible in the lock.

But if you are set on having a smaller lock, I read an article online not too long ago that had the OnGaurd Pitbull Mini rating as high or higher in security as more expensive U-locks. The conclusion was that the author would save the money and go with the Pitbull Mini is he was buying a new U-lock. Of course the bikeforums and down now so I can't find the link to the article.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Site Admin

Default i work in a shop

i would go with the krypto evolution mini (orange) or the new york mini (yellow). they are more expensive than the onguard pitbull mini, but they feel far more solid. the onguard lock does come with 5 keys, whereas the kryptos come with 3 keys but the krypto keys are more substantial.
they retail for 32 (onguard) and 58 (krypto evo) and 78 or so (krypto yellow.
i sell onguard cause thats what we have, but i have a krypto evo mini.
The minis work well with road wheels, but they are tough to use when locking up a mt bike wheel and seat stays.
nuff said