Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Site Admin

Default How to identify unmarked hubs

I recently got a pair of used wheels, and im having some trouble identifying both the front hub and back freehub. The rims still have their stickers, so i think im looking at a 'Vuelta Typhoon', its other markings include 'Vuelta RODi', 'ETRTO 28' and 'made in europe'. As for the hubs, there is no markings at all on them, and i think they are both have 32 spoke holes (the back does at least). So how can i ID the hubs? or is it not possible.

The only reason i really want to know is because there were a few spokes missing on the back rim, so i decided to overhaul both hubs in addition to replacing the spokes. The front hub went fine, but when i tried to remove the freewheel from my back hub, i noticed my 10mm allen key was too small. I think it must need a 12 or maybe even 14mm allen key. I dont know if that will help at all for identifying the hub though...

Last edited by flj^; 08-09-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Site Admin

Wink Things the internet is not good for

Have you tried Wikipedia? j/k

Umm....if you have the hubs in front of you and cant identify them, how is somebody on the internet magically going to be able to ID them?

My advice is to take them to a local bike shop. The hubs are likely generic 'OEM' ones that came on a stock wheelset. Hopefully the bearings are serviceable. You can measure one of the existing spokes to buy replacement ones.

Oh yeah, if the 10mm doesn't fit, try a bigger wrench.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Site Admin

well I thought someone may have had a similar pair of wheels and knew what hubs it had, or if maybe theres some special way of IDing hubs without any regular markings on them. Regardless of that, I think they are just oem hub from the original wheelset. Got spokes fine, but i needed to find an 11mm allen key to get the freewheel off.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Site Admin

Take it to City Bikes or Bicycle Repair Collective. They'll probably have the tool you need.