Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Site Admin

Question Painting a bike

Hey Portland,

Any tips on how to paint a bike frame? My bike has the original finish and bike company logo stuff on it, but I'm going for unique. I'd like to do a solid background overlaid with graphic designs in a single color. A shiny, enamel finish would be lovely, I think. So, how does one go about prepping the bike for paint? Are there any experienced bike artists who could reccommend some appropriate types and brands of paint that I might look for? And who carries such paints?

This is partly for safety (a distinctive, customized bike may be less likely to be stolen) and partly an expression of love for my new best friend, the Orbea. Thanks for any tips or advice, happy riding ~
Old 08-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Site Admin

I am neither a bike painting expert, nor artist, but I've done it once.

I took everything off of the bike except for the cranks. At the time I didn't know much about a bottom bracket except that I didn't want to get paint in it, so I taped that up really well.

I took everything off, sanded it down. Used a spray on primer and paint. I didn't use a clearcoat, though I probably should have cause I knicked the paint pretty good shortly after painting it.

Just be really careful when you tape. Anything that's threaded or where something fits into it should be taped.

I don't know about painting over it with a design. I would guess you could spray the primer, spray the background, paint your design, then clearcoat it all. But that's just a layperson's guess. If you want more specifics pm me.

Good Luck.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb

Rather than Re-Painting, you can use vinyl sign making film, or even reflective film, as I have on my bike.

If you go to the Glow-in-the-Dark Bike thread, I describe how I did it.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 12-08-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimunki View Post
Hey Portland,

Any tips on how to paint a bike frame? My bike has the original finish and bike company logo stuff on it, but I'm going for unique. I'd like to do a solid background overlaid with graphic designs in a single color. A shiny, enamel finish would be lovely, I think. So, how does one go about prepping the bike for paint? Are there any experienced bike artists who could reccommend some appropriate types and brands of paint that I might look for? And who carries such paints?

This is partly for safety (a distinctive, customized bike may be less likely to be stolen) and partly an expression of love for my new best friend, the Orbea. Thanks for any tips or advice, happy riding ~
i painted a bike once, its alot of work and the paint will chip off pretty easily, that being said

go to Autozone and buy some Aircraft Paint Remover, that will save you much time and energy removing the old paint. I have yet to find paint that will work well on a bike (harden enough) to resist chipping.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Site Admin

Default tool dip

Has anyone tried to do all or part of a bike using the stuff you use to coat tool handles? It comes in both a spray and dip form. It seems, if you could get it to stick, like it would be good for places where wear could be an issue. Thoughts?
Old 12-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Plast-Dip

Quote:
Originally Posted by edki View Post
Has anyone tried to do all or part of a bike using the stuff you use to coat tool handles? It comes in both a spray and dip form. It seems, if you could get it to stick, like it would be good for places where wear could be an issue. Thoughts?
I strongly recommend against a full Plasti-dip (that's the stuff you're talking about) paint job. It's not exactly cheap, and it'd be heavy as hell... Color's are limited... however, at wear points, it could serve to preserve the underlying finish, as long as you choose a good color match or go with clear.

But you could use a clear vinyl film (available at sign shops) and have less mess.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 12-19-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
I strongly recommend against a full Plasti-dip (that's the stuff you're talking about) paint job. It's not exactly cheap, and it'd be heavy as hell... Color's are limited... however, at wear points, it could serve to preserve the underlying finish, as long as you choose a good color match or go with clear.

But you could use a clear vinyl film (available at sign shops) and have less mess.
I see your point...The full-on dip may be a bit much but the spray has to weigh less, especially if used in limited areas. Fortunately preserving the aesthetic integrity of the original paint is a non-issue, so clear coats are not needed.

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by edki View Post
I see your point...The full-on dip may be a bit much but the spray has to weigh less, especially if used in limited areas. Fortunately preserving the aesthetic integrity of the original paint is a non-issue, so clear coats are not needed.
I don't have any spray Plasti-Dip, I couldn't find clear locally, so I opted for dip-able clear (instant gratification issue). So, I'm going by memory here.

According to the instructions on Plasti Dip, you need several coats to do it "right"... but you can obviously use fewer coats if you get the desired effect.

Best of Luck!
K'Tesh
Old 12-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Site Admin

Try this paint

Last edited by K'Tesh; 12-19-2007 at 03:25 PM. Reason: added image
Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

I'm intrigued, but concerned... That paint uses radiation...

In the USAF I used to work w/Nukes (weapons load crewmember)... and I've had to drink Radioactive dye for MRI/Catscans... And I've been X-rayed a lot recently (including bits that probably shouldn't be exposed (to radiation, or in public ))

Any more rads, and I'll begin to glow myself... oh, wait... I already do...

I'm so Bright, My Parents call me SUN!
K'Tesh