Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Site Admin

Default Portland to Vernonia-Banks/L.L. Stubs

Looking for best route from Portland to Banks-Vernonia (probably starting in Hillsboro via Max) and then on to the new L.L. Stubbs park for overnight camping. What train stop should I get off at? Also, any suggestions what to do over there? I hear there is a good pub? Is there also a waterfall in the vacinity? Anything else? Any tips on my itinerary would be great. I'm leaving Sunday night.

Last edited by instatone; 09-01-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Site Admin

If you take max to the end, you'll be in downtown Hillsboro proper. Not knowing your desired ride time or distance, hard to give you route advice. Getting to Banks has many options... but getting to the Vernonia highway I can't help you.

If you head to Forest Grove (just past Cornelius) there is the McMenamin's Grand Lodge. It is at Hwy 8 and Hwy 47.
http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?...ion%20Homepage
Old 09-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Site Admin

Anyone know if the Vernonia trail is paved continuously to Banks now? I was out there two years ago, riding from Vernonia to Banks, and the pavement ended suddenly about 5 miles outside of Vernonia, turning to big, chunky, pinch-flat-inducing gravel. However, on a recent car visit to Stub Stewart, I noticed that where the path crosses the entrance it's now paved with fresh blacktop.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Site Admin

Default Portland to Vernonia-Banks/ Stubbs

I will review this trail since I'm doing it tomorrow and let you know if it is paved. We will be camping overnight in Stubbs Park. We just heard there is a waterfall nearby and maybe other things to do.

Most importantly we also don't know the best bike route to take from Hillsboro to the entrance to the Vernonia-Banks trail. Do we need to take the 26? Is it dangerous there? Are there better routes?
Old 09-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Site Admin

If you want to minimize 26 to the vernonia highway, take 47 through Forest Grove. You can weave through some of the back country roads to get there. I would recommend being highly visible... flag, cloths... etc.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Site Admin

This is how I would do it:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...art-State-Park

this gets to you the park from Hillsboro. You can also get onto the Manning Trailhead from Hwy 26 (Pihl Road, then left on Pongratz Rd, eventually a right turn onto the trail proper). Pongratz Rd is not paved. Gravel or washboard; depends on what has been done for it most recently.

Last I rode it, it was NOT paved from the Buxton Trestle until a few miles out of Vernonia. While the Buxton Trestle descent and ascent can be interesting (steep going up!), the trail is entirely passable as long as you don't have close-fitting fenders that will clog up with pine needles. I prefer to do it on my MTB, although I expect my Bleriot would handle it just fine as well. If I took the fenders off
Old 09-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Site Admin

And of course the map:
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/images/pdf/bv.pdf

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_145.php
Old 09-03-2007, 11:49 PM
Site Admin

Default Trip Review

Hey all, thanks for the great info. The bike trip to Stubb was great. We did take the Banks-Vernonia trail. We followed the bikely directions which were awesome.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...art-State-Park

I wouldn't worry too much about the gravel part for those who mentioned it, however we all had touring bikes and MTBs. Gravel only started right at the Manning Trail Head and went for about a mile or maybe more like .5 miles.

When we got to Stubb to camp we had the entire state park to ourselves. The only downside was the fire rings were way too large that we could barely get warm. Also getting water there proved a little difficult since they're far away from the hike-in campgrounds. The whole trip was great, and we're going to try to do it again before the summer ends.