Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Site Admin

Default Beaverton to PSU?

My in City apartment search is going no where. Lots of places for more than my financial aid will allow. Beaverton seems cheaper, but I plan on bike commuting, that is, if I plan on eating.

The question is however, how bad is that hill? I could use my mtb if I need to, but I picked a nice, early 80s road bike out of the garbage for the commute. It works well, except for the 40lbs and lack of gearing (compared to the modern mtb set up at least).

Could I beat the supposed 70 min max ride on the bike? That would mean doing better than about 10mph, easy here (suburban NJ) but that ridge is scaring me...

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Site Admin

Beaverton to PSU isn't bad. You'd probably go over the Sunset Hwy bike path, and either do Hewett or Humphrey, then descend Broadway to pop right out by PSU (Broadway road surface isn't all that great), or go through Washington Park and work your way back to PSU.

Coming back... You could use MAX to get back (you can take your bike on), or ride back. I like to climb up Vista, myself, but Washington Park is really nice as well. Of course I do them a couple times a year not every day. A friend of mine is a prof at PSU and he rides in Every Day from west of 185th Ave. And back. His story of riding home in the snow and ice last winter is the stuff of legend.

Of course, you could ride up Salmon to get to Washington Park (remember that YouTube video of all the cars sliding down? That was Salmon. You'll need those low gears).

Or go around the hill via Terwilliger (still a climb but not so steep). Depends where in Beaverton you end up.

Sure, you could beat the 70 minutes You'll like it here, too!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Site Admin

you could also find housing on the east side of the river. Lots of folks commute in from the east side.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Site Admin

Default Beaverton?????

i know all of you beavertonians would disagree, but the quality of life, (traffic, bike friendliness, lack of urban sprawl) is much better in SE and NE. The commute is relatively flat, their are low traffic bike blvd's, and everyone and their mother is on a bike on the east side. The rent is comparable to beaverton, and there are actually walkable neighborhoods over here. yes you can commute over the hill, but that will be a pain in the rain. i burned through a pair of canti brakes on one descent last winter out of the hills.

dont live in a suburb!!!. it will complicate your life, make you drive more, and hasten our collective downward spiral. if you try to live in NW, it is expensive. but the entire East side has great deals to be had.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Site Admin

I'm coming from the suburbs now, so I know how it works very well...

I'm am having trouble finding something on the east side, but I will expand my search eastward from close in. There seems to be precious little West of 205. Then again, 10 miles from the East side is probably easier than 10 miles from Beaverton, unless I make circles around Tabor.

(The other catch, I'm bringing my dog, a very active mix, so those 300sq ft studios are very much out!)
Old 08-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Site Admin

If you were a fifty+ newbie rider with a compact double crank, would one of those routes lynnef described be preferable from either an altitude or traffic perspective? From motorcycling days I seem to recall Humphrey/Hewitt as twisty and narrow.

I've been riding back and forth from my house near Tek to the Sylvan interchange to build up a little strength and average speed. Now that I can get that far merely winded rather than gasping I'm ready to try to extend my range (with the ultimate goal of making pretty much the very commute this topic discusses).

Hope this doesn't count as a thread hijack. Since it's the topic route I thought it might be better to hitch a ride rather than start an essentially duplicate topic.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis View Post
If you were a fifty+ newbie rider with a compact double crank, would one of those routes lynnef described be preferable from either an altitude or traffic perspective? From motorcycling days I seem to recall Humphrey/Hewitt as twisty and narrow.

I've been riding back and forth from my house near Tek to the Sylvan interchange to build up a little strength and average speed. Now that I can get that far merely winded rather than gasping I'm ready to try to extend my range (with the ultimate goal of making pretty much the very commute this topic discusses).

Hope this doesn't count as a thread hijack. Since it's the topic route I thought it might be better to hitch a ride rather than start an essentially duplicate topic.
Hewett is twisty, but has NO traffic and is essentially flat. Humphrey has more traffic. For the record, *I* am 50+, have a road bike with triple, and have no problems with any of the routes I suggested. My idea of a fun evening ride is to head from MY house (after riding home from Tek up the Park Way hill) up to Council Crest and Fairmount

One can also go around the hill on Beaverton-Hillsdale (ick) toTerwilliger (up) or Capitol Hwy (down, heavy traffic).

And for those comments on living in the burbs - I live here. I also WORK here, with 2 groceries, Powells, and 2 bike stores between the two. When the weather is truly bad, I can walk or snowshoe to work. It works for me. My children went to school here - good schools, I might add. Nuff said.

Off to go climb the Park Way hill with a loaded bike. You have a good evening
Old 08-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Site Admin

Thanks lynnef. I live a mile from Tek and worked there 20 years and walked to work more than I ever biked. No apologies here for living in the 'burbs. Stuff happens and I work downtown now so would really like to bike commute if it won't kill me - these route discussions are very helpful. Thanks for noting the difference between Humphrey and Hewitt. From the sound of it, you will almost certainly pass me struggling up Park Way some evening, so give a wave to the wheezing fellow on the gray Cross-Check. And if you remember Interleaf, try not to lob a water bottle at me
Old 08-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis View Post
Thanks lynnef. I live a mile from Tek and worked there 20 years and walked to work more than I ever biked. No apologies here for living in the 'burbs. Stuff happens and I work downtown now so would really like to bike commute if it won't kill me - these route discussions are very helpful. Thanks for noting the difference between Humphrey and Hewitt. From the sound of it, you will almost certainly pass me struggling up Park Way some evening, so give a wave to the wheezing fellow on the gray Cross-Check. And if you remember Interleaf, try not to lob a water bottle at me
Well I'd be the person on the Rivendell Bleriot with the amazing hammered Honjo fenders. Everyone passes me on the Park Way hill. You too, probably!

The burb stuff was not directed at you. I'm just getting tired of the Beaverton stereotyping

I do remember Interleaf. I was the Interleaf Goddess of my group, and got to take lots of fun training classes so I could answer questions. Autonumbers ROCK! I suspect we actually knew each other in a previous life.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Site Admin

Default beaverton stereotyping is derived from reality

the city of beaverton is entirely designed around the automobile. i have ridden/commuted through it and yes its possible to ride a nice route free of traffic. The older parts of portland however, were designed at an earlier time w/out so many automobiles. The city is full of narrow streets and bike blvd's. so for commuting, i'd consider it ideal. you beavertonians do have us beat on the recreational cycling in washington county however. you are much closer to nicer riding than i am in SE. more people commute in portland than in beaverton. check out the numbers on the hawthorne bridge crossing.

so for the search for housing, st johns is cheap and a nice ride to town. there are some cool neighborhoods off of interstate (cesar chavez) as well as the alberta/mississippi corridors.
also check out areas south of 84 but north of burnside, theyre allright. 50th to 82nd. The area just east of mt tabor is cool too. cheap houses, probably cheap rent. foster/holgate to clinton is cheaper too. i'd start looking there. milwaukie is always an option, 1/2 hr to 45 minutes to PSU and really cheap rent. i think that milwaukie is going to start getting more expensive in the next few years.
there are also a lot of cheaper duplexes, apartments, and one bedrooms in the central eastside.( inside 28th)