Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Site Admin

Default Terwilliger Construction

I take Terwilliger to and from work on my commute between Sam Jackson and Barbur, but it seems there is construction starting up today between Bancroft and Sam Jackson.

So on my way north tonight, I'm considering riding the westbank waterfront path instead into downtown - since this will bypass all the downtown construction as well - but I cannot figure out a good way to get from Barbur to the waterfront. The Bike There map suggests SW Briar from Barbur, then along a convoluted path of Corbet and Laview, before ending close to where I want to be on the busy SW Taylors Ferry.

Can anyone suggest a better route from Barbur/Terwilliger area to the westbank waterfront? I'd rather not ride Barbur.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Site Admin

Default Recommended route

I recommend :
  • take barbur,
  • right on miles (at Fulton community ctr),
  • right on brier,
  • left on custer,
  • left on corbett (make sure you have good brakes),
  • then right at the bottom of the hill onto nebraska,
  • then take nebraska over into willamette park, then left on the bike path and enjoy the river views
  • once you are at riverplace, you can enter waterfront park or go into downtown
The reverse works, but instead of corbett (unless you like pain), take Laview up to corbett. Laview is a quiet street with very friendly neighbors!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Site Admin

Thanks! I tried a close variation on that yesterday, and it worked fairly well. Corbett is indeed steep and rough for descending! The waterfront was crowded, but a nice diversion.

FYI, I rode in on Terwilliger this morning, the southbound lane was graded away between Sam Jackson and the VA Center, but not the northbound lane nor the bike lanes. I expect it will get uglier there as the week continues.