Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Site Admin

Default where is the 205 bikepath under construction?

I am thinking about biking to work from SE 62nd to Troutdale next week, but the only way I know is bike friendly is the 205 path, which I have been told is down for a time... where is this work done and how would one get around the closure?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Site Admin

Default Where isn't it?

Check out
http://www.trimet.org/i205/construction.htm#multiuse
Old 06-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Site Admin

Default thanks for the link

alternatives?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Site Admin

Default Back to the streets

The "best" for me has been 92nd. There's actually a bike path along much of it. The problem is glass and urban detritus. Carry at least one extra tube. Also check out the forum about the best tires against flats that's been running. Trimet is having a "party" / ride on July 13th at which they are sponsering a ride from Gateway to Clackamas Town Center (5:30 - 7:00) and when they are going to unvail the new alternative route. I suspect its going to be 92nd. There's road work going on south of Johnson Creek where the bike path just disappears on both sides and I hope they are widening the road to accomodate bike lanes there. Big SUV's and narrow uphill rides are not a good thing in Clack Co.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Site Admin

Default Troutdale?

Sorry - I got diverted off your original question.
From SE 62 why not take Springwater out to Gresham. From Gresham its just a drop down the hill into Troutdale.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Site Admin

seems counterintuitive to go south for a northerly destination, however it sounds fun. maybe i will ride it this weekend and check it out. thanks

D
Old 06-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
I am thinking about biking to work from SE 62nd to Troutdale next week, but the only way I know is bike friendly is the 205 path, which I have been told is down for a time... where is this work done and how would one get around the closure?
What's your cross-street? The I-205 path is open from north of Powell on out to its end at Marine Drive - once you get to Marine Drive, hang a right and ride on out to Troutdale. There are various places along the way where you can drop down on to a bike path on one side of the road or the other, but you will have to be up on the shoulder of Marine Dr. for some periods. Nevertheless, I prefer that to the chipseal hell of the pre-Gresham portion of the Springwater . . .
Old 06-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguyonabike View Post
Trimet is having a "party" / ride on July 13th at which they are sponsering a ride from Gateway to Clackamas Town Center (5:30 - 7:00) and when they are going to unvail the new alternative route. I suspect its going to be 92nd. .

It's partly 92nd, but it veers off for a weird little tour of outer-SE's narrower streets. I followed the orange directional signs and very large pavement markings for a while last night (starting from the south at 92nd and Flavel where it intersects with the Springwater) and decided that with all the turns, stop signs, and overall street narrowness it's simply not worth it, so I am going to find other, more interesting routes of my own . . .
Old 06-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Site Admin

Default Trimet's scenic route

I agree. I tried their scenic route through the neighborhoods and only found tht it added >10" to just staying on 92nd. We lose the bike path around Lentz Park, but I haven't found the traffic to be too bad. The broken bottles on the other hand....
Cecilann's right. Kinda depends on how far south on 65th you are. If you are north of Powell you might be better off w/ 205.
Make the circle! Go out that way and come back Springwater.

Last edited by Oldguyonabike; 06-28-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Site Admin

I live off Division- I will go scope it out this weekend.

It will be nice to get some excersize on the way to work, this desk job thing is a hard change from my previous life. Luckily it is only for a week.

They told me today that they are going to put me on a split shift, and they were sorry... then I said, its all good, I will have four hours to go biking in the middle of the day between shifts.