Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Site Admin

Exclamation "Why You Should Avoid the Door Zone" video

http://youtu.be/CudJvSbS2aY

Excellent, clear footage of a crash test dummy hitting an opening door, followed by four real-life clips of actual doorings. (I hope the second guy lived.) Hopefully everyone here avoids that danger already, but this is a good reminder and provides a compelling lesson to ride clear of the door zone to anyone who doesn't already know better. It's not gory but it is violent.

(A driver's-side door hit throws the rider leftward into the adjacent car lane where he/she lands on their back with the back of their cranium striking the paving, and in a position subject to being hit by vehicles.)
Old 05-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Site Admin

ouch!

that 3rd one confuses me... there are cars driving to the right and a parked car to the left... country with right-hand drive most likely... or a one way street? it would seem like the left is a passenger exiting onto a plaza and not a road... you can see right before that they pass an SUV and a woman in a striped dress waiting to cross at what looks like the left edge of the roadway... there's also a pole almost in the path of the cyclist...

so does another lane magically appear straight into a pole to the left of parked vehicles? I'd love to know where this intersection is at... got a link to the original?

the other three are clear on the where everybody should be...
Old 05-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Site Admin

Sorry, no info on the original source. I agree that it looks like it could be a right-hand-drive country, in which case it would be a passenger dooring. The vehicles don't look American, either.