Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Ride/Event Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Red face Mixed bag in Tigard tonight....

Went to the 5th Tuesday Tigard City Council Meeting tonight. Only two members of the public attended, myself and a lady who was having problems with a neighbor blocking her driveway with a parked car. I pitched the idea of a Tigard Bike/Ped Advisory committee. I also pointed out some of the problems that I experience as a bike commuter in Tigard. The city council members were very receptive to the idea and it seems that there is some momentum to perhaps form one.

One idea that got shot down rather quickly was my request that an local ord. be drafted requiring that new developments be designed with bike/ped conciderations in mind. Seems that a SINGLE street of people years ago protested that kind of ord. when a new development was going in, and due to lack of bike/ped involvement managed to block the idea... pity.

You want better bike/ped facilities? Get involved!!! Tigard is going to restart looking into bike/ped issues either this year or next. Hmmm, I wonder when would be a good time to speak up?

Imagine how much more influence with the Council there would have been if perhaps a Tigard resident had attended?

Pedal POWER!
K'Tesh