Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Site Admin

Default Tigard to Hillsboro commute at night?

Howdy,

I'm wondering what folks might suggest for a Tigard to Hillsboro commute at night?

I'd be starting around Scholls Ferry road at Murray blvd, and ending at Tuality hospital.

It seems to me that my only 2 options are the TV highway, or Scholls Ferry (River road).

River road is very nice, but no shoulder for ?3-5miles and 55 mph traffic. TV highway just seems "icky".

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Site Admin

Default Rosedale

Have you tried 155th to 170th then a combination of neighborhood streets to Rosa Road and then Rosedale to River Road. River Road has a bike path from Rosedale to Hillsboro. This is the route I take when we ride out for some flat riding in the Tualatin Valley. Rosedale has no shoulders and is starting to get some comute traffic but is a quite rural road most of the time.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

No matter what, invest heavily in lights if you are riding at night...

I'd recommend at least three tail lights (two superflashes, one on the bike, one on you, and a Planet Bike helmet mounted tail light), and three headlights, two very bright LED systems (NiteRider MiNewt X2's (one on helmet, one on bars), and a battery powered head light as a backup). For side visibility, retro-reflective film...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 01-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Site Admin

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...dc2ff5c6302822
This is the route that I would take. My commute is from 170th to Downtown Tigard. This route is nice when there is little to no sun light and when the weather is nasty. I think that weaving your way to Baseline road would be the best. Then from Baseline its a straight shot to Hillsboro.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Site Admin

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...f9c0&z=13&om=0
I meant to have this in there too. Good Luck!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
No matter what, invest heavily in lights if you are riding at night...

I'd recommend at least three tail lights (two superflashes, one on the bike, one on you, and a Planet Bike helmet mounted tail light), and three headlights, two very bright LED systems (NiteRider MiNewt X2's (one on helmet, one on bars), and a battery powered head light as a backup). For side visibility, retro-reflective film...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Yup, this is true. This is my third winter on a bike and I can't stress enough the importance of a good light system, no matter what route you are taking. BTW, the route shown in the above post looks good. Be safe out there.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:14 AM
Site Admin

Hey, thanks for the replies! All are appreciated.

-Won't be commuting probably 'till spring once I'm done training at work.

t27, I'll check out some way to connect to that rosa road.

Looks to be a "messy" commute no matter how I do it from here, and a tad bit longer than what I was used to back east. Might give it a try though a few times a week-but we are likely going to move in the spring anyways. We're thinking of moving to either "Tanasbourne" or "Orenco" areas. Better max access (my GF doesn't drive), and then it'd be a simple cycle commute for me.

K'tesh, no worries about lighting up. I even have a nifty xenon strobe (bought from "allelectronics") which works fine off of a 9V battery. I hooked up a remote switch to it too. Need to have that one shipped from storage back east, but I do tend to light up pretty well.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Site Admin

I highly DIS-recommend riding on River Rd from where it hits Highway 210 West/North to Farmington (Twin Oaks Tavern) to Rosedale. I don't know you, but I don't want you to die. That stretch isn't even safe on Sunday morning. As pointed out above, there is a bike path North of Rosedale.