Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Site Admin

Default Springwater Trail Safety

This opinion article ran in the Sunday Oregonian on Dec. 23, 2007:

http://www.oregonlive.com/commentary...290.xml&coll=7

an excerpt: "The geographic and cultural catalyst of this sickening blight springs from 82nd Avenue and the Springwater Trail. These corridors can be characterized as strips of lawlessness. They seem to be a no man's land. The corner of 82nd and Flavel and the intersection of Flavel and the Springwater Trail are particularly bad, a haven for drugs and prostitution, where people can slip between the street and the trail. In five years, I have never ridden my bike or walked our section of the trail, only two blocks away, because I am afraid of the groups of people living in the brush."

I'm not timid and I don't mean to frighten people or to stop using the trail, but it can't hurt to be aware of existing situations. Just thought I'd draw people's attention to this article written by a young mother/artist living in the vicinity described.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Site Admin

When a city decides to provide alternative pathways through their fair city, don't you think they considered law enforcement at the same time? Sounds like the MAX oversight! The least the city could do is provide surveillance and patrols as part of their generous offering to their citizens.

Does the police department have any kind of hotline for the SWC? Do they have a commited response for citizens?