Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Question Hwy 217 Commuter Trail?

For my current commute, I ride on Hwy 217.

For 3 years I've been begging for a Hwy 217 Commuter Trail, but I'm told that it is too expensive, and there isn't enough support for a trail that could cost nearly 1Mil/mile ("Can you justify 1M/mile for one rider?"). I've pointed out the success of the I205 trail, but it doesn't phase them.

There's some great areas along Hwy 217 that could become a wonderful commuter/rec MUP (ie. paralleling the new Wilsonville/Beaverton Commuter Train (WES), set to start late 2008 ). I understand that there are areas that paralleling wouldn't work, but come on... Hall Blvd is dangerous, and I'm not sure that the Fanno Creek Trail would be a viable 24/7/365 commuting alternative.

So, are they right? Is it 1M/mile for one rider as they say? Or, is it "If you build it they will come" as I say? I do understand that there is a problem with obtaining the funding, but I think they are dismissing it out of hand.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 03-03-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Site Admin

If there was a better, more "linked up" MUP, my BF and I would ride it.

The Fanno Creek Trail (all 4 miles or so of it) is so disjointed, and crosses several busy, large streets, that's it difficult to want to use it.

I'd rather ride Hall and Scholls Ferry than the Fanno Creek Trail, to be honest.

If there was a 217 commuter corridor with decent crossings and a nice wide clean surface, I'd use it in a heartbeat.

I can't believe you ride ON 217! You're crazy!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven_kd7yct View Post
I can't believe you ride ON 217! You're crazy!
When I was talking to my Attorney, I mentioned that I commute on 217 and she said that she wasn't sure about the wisdom of that route.

When I told her my alternative was Hall Blvd, she said "You win.". She's been involved in a few crashes on Hall, and understands my thinking now.

And I'm not crazy... I'm only halfway there...
Rubberside down!
K'Tesh
Old 11-29-2007, 02:06 AM
Site Admin

217 South is great fun during the height of rush hour. On at Park Way, off at Canyon Road, and a hundred traffic-jammed suckers in between.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Site Admin

What section are you riding down? There should be an alternate route, meandering through neighborhoods or using roads like Lombard, Nimbus, or Greenway. Yeah, you sometimes have to cross a major road, but as long as you pick your intersections you can at least get a signal.

And yeah. Hall is baaaad juju. Has been for at least 20 years. Beaverton's a town where the roads were designed for 20,000 population, now forced to cope with 100,000.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Site Admin

There is indeed a route:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1473835
My husband rides it (at least in the nicer weather). He says most of the major road crossings have lights, or are otherwise not difficult. He's going all the way to Tualatin; I just showed the part to Tigard.

The fuzzy mapping part is the Fanno Creek Trail - doesn't show as a road on gmaps.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyeast View Post
What section are you riding down? There should be an alternate route, meandering through neighborhoods or using roads like Lombard, Nimbus, or Greenway. Yeah, you sometimes have to cross a major road, but as long as you pick your intersections you can at least get a signal.

And yeah. Hall is baaaad juju. Has been for at least 20 years. Beaverton's a town where the roads were designed for 20,000 population, now forced to cope with 100,000.
Meandering isn't a very good option, I'm trying to get to work (and I'm often running late, and I don't like neighborhood traffic/traffic controls). Sure, I could start earlier, but I don't like arriving hot and sweaty (or dead/beat/late).

When I was going to work using Hall, I started on Broadway and Watson, proceeded south until Watson joined Hall. Then it was Hall all the way down till I turned onto Cascade. Cascade crosses Scholls, then goes on to Greenburg. Greenburg to 99W, thru the parking lots of Napa Auto Parts, and 7-11, then back on Hall.

Problems were found where there was no bike lane, or where Hall crosses Greenway (RIGHT HOOKS), as well as all the busy intersections and driveways. Whats worse, traffic is often faster on Hall (20-40mph) than on Hwy 217 (12-35mph) during rush hour.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Site Admin

It is obvious that the westside has a lot of bike route planning to do. Fortunately I only ride through Beaverton for pleasure. How do we put pressure on these municipalities to do their freaking job on their transportation plan as required by law? Putting signs that say "bikes on Road" and "Bike Lane Ends" just isn't cutting it.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Site Admin

Well, I don't mean literally meandering, mainly finding a sorta-parallel route through neighborhoods without having to use Hall. Something like (and take this with a big grain of salt, as I haven't lived in Beaverton in about 10 years, and I don't know how bike-suitable some roads are in that end of town - I lived on the north end)

Broadway & Watson - to Lombard

South on Lombard to Denney, jog over to Anne, then Hillcrest.

Pop out at Ridgecrest, ride along the sidewalk to Greenway, cross Hall at the signal on the south side of Greenway (avoiding the obvious right hook by people barreling down the hill at 40mph). Still a little sketchy past the driveway at Albertsons, tho'.

Ride through Greenway Park, cross under Scholls, as far south as you can go (can you get out at Dakota? This is where my knowledge of the park is really fuzzy). You might get forced off around Black Diamond, I can't remember.

South of Dakota there should be a trail near the tracks that goes to Tigard. Take Tigard across under 99 into downtown. Yeah, it's downtown but at least everybody's moving at a crawl, right?

From downtown, take Commercial or Burnham (dunno which is better, honestly) to Hall. Depends where your destination is.

You could start on the west side of Hall (like Erickson or Main - but that's a lot of stop signs through Beaverton) but there's no good way past Hart w/o taking Sorrento, and while it's less traffic than Hall, there's a lot of momentum coming down the hill that puts you at risk if somebody pulls out in front of you. You could meander further west by Highland Park, but I was trying to keep you near your original route. As I kid I remember some trails cutting from Beaverton High towards Hyland Forest, but I don't know if they even exist anymore.

Last edited by wyeast; 11-29-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
It is obvious that the westside has a lot of bike route planning to do. Fortunately I only ride through Beaverton for pleasure. How do we put pressure on these municipalities to do their freaking job on their transportation plan as required by law? Putting signs that say "bikes on Road" and "Bike Lane Ends" just isn't cutting it.
The trouble with the westside (esp. around Beaverton) is that transportation planning is still trying to catch up with the calamity that was growth in the 80's and 90's. There are a lot of screwy intersections, driveways, and waaaaay too many signals in short succession because they treated each change as a stop-gap rather than try to incorporate a more overall planned strategy.

North-south at least there's Murray and Hall as arterials. East-west is just a mess with Farmington, Allen, and Canyon. Roads that are either too narrow or have too many driveways (both residential and commerical) dumping directly into the street - meaning cars can pop out at you literally every 50 feet.

Bike routes first went in only so far as access for kids getting to/from schools. You had some feeder trails around schools into surrounding neighborhoods, but nothing really consolidated for getting from one end of town to the other. What trails I do remember tended to be narrow and buried behind bushes/housing with limited access.

Tualatin Hills is trying to straighten it all out, but they've got their work cut out for them. Portland at least can cheat with its grid network to figure out bike boulevards. Westside has no grid layout, so you have to puzzle your way into cutting through neighborhoods.