Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Site Admin

Default Paved equivalent to Leif Eriksson Dr

As I understand it, the trail I mentioned is an 11mi long fire road in Forest Park.

Thats good, but I need a "paved version" not too steep, I need to do it on rollerblades. I skate along as my dog pulls ahead. (we are dryland "training" for this: )

Something like Springwater is much too crowded (and on the other side of Portland!) Any ideas?

Last edited by Psyfalcon; 11-10-2007 at 09:46 PM. Reason: wrong picture!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Site Admin

Is this a joke? that dog looks a little too small to be pulling someone. Making that small dog do all the work...
Old 11-14-2007, 08:14 AM
Site Admin

Just because a dog is small, doesn't mean it's not powerful. Sled dogs are usually smaller than you think they are. Any dog (outside of the Toy and Teacup variety) can do this activity, so long as they like to pull.

I've heard of people doing this activity; there's a small group that do it on mountain bikes around the Bend area. And, I saw something on Animal Planet about this activity as well.

Besides, dogs have problems with obesity as much as their human counterparts do.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Site Admin

That one is a little small, a bit smaller than mine, but it is supposed to be a 50/50 activity. My dog will slack off if I'm too slow for a while he actually heels better with me on skates than walking A lot of the sled dogs are only 35-45lbs, although larger pointer mixes seem to dominate single dog races of the skiing variety for several reasons, only one being size.

The problem is... my dog is afraid of my bike! Its going to take a while for that to work out