Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Site Admin

Default alternate commute plans

My company is unfortunately about to slash our alternate commuting program, some of us are wondering if they are required by law to provide some minimum benefit. It is a large company in Vancouver Washington. Any info would be appreciated.

Bjorn
Old 10-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Site Admin

Default Washington State CTR Law

The state of WA has the Commute Trip Reduction law, which in a nutshell, requires businesses with more than 100 employees, located in counties of more than 150,000, to make a "good faith effort" to reduce employee commute trips to the worksite.

It's administered by the State DOT and the program website is below. Personally, I'd make a phone call instead of trying to wade through the website. I tried to find more specifics for you, but gave up...it's just too dense.

Good luck!!!

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/TDM/CTR/default.htm
Old 10-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Site Admin

I ended up getting in touch with Jan Bowers from the city of vancouver and found out about the "Good Faith Effort" law from her as well. Unfortunately "good faith effort" does not mean that they have to spend "Money". She says that our new plan which does not involve any subsidy from my company is still in compliance. I also found out that most big companies in Vancouver do not subsidize transit passes, although it is common in Portland.

Anyway many thanks to Jan for the information she provided, she is the Commute Trip Reduction Administrator for the City of Vancouver.

Bjorn
Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Site Admin

I work for a large company in Portland, and there are subsidies for mass transit users, car poolers, and van poolers, but not for cyclists. I think it's due to federal tax law, which I believe is being addressed by the Bicycle Commuter Act that Earl Blumenauer got attached to the recently passed transportation bill.