Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Site Admin

Default Riverview Cemetary Access

Does anyone know if bike commuters are allowed in Riverview Cemetery after the gates close in the evening?

There are signs posted that indicate the Cemetery is closed from 6PM to 8AM (or something like that). I've occasionally started the climb a bit late and met a closed gate at the top. I've simply followed the well-worn paths that other bikers have made through the hedges. I know that there is also a well-worn path next to the bottom of the hill gate that bikers are using on a regular basis.

So, I've wondered if anyone else knows if the Cemetery allows bikers to transit through after the gates are closed. What about after dark (spooky)?

Thanks so much! For now, I'll continue to alternate between Terwilliger, Barbur, LaView, and Corbett to get to my home in SW.

Last edited by Mondofresh; 08-22-2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: I need to learn how to spell cemetery
Old 08-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Site Admin

Default i've never been told no

i think its a dont ask dont tell policy
Old 08-22-2007, 06:44 AM
Site Admin

I have been there when the gates have been closed and I have encountered and spoken with cemetery employees and no one has ever questioned or challenged my presence. That said, last year there was quite a bit of tension re: cyclists in the cemetery - riding too fast, etc. - so they may start cracking down. I would suggest that, if you do get there after hours, when coming in, esp. at the top of the cemetery where the paths enter at gravesites, you be respectful and not walk or ride your bike across the graves - it's pretty uncool to leave tire tracks across folks' final resting places.

As for doing it after dark - I would suggest it only if you have a good headlight - some of the roads are narrow and twisty and steep.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Site Admin

It is a fantastic ride, especially at night (with good lights.)

I spoke with a supervisor there about it last year. His concern was the potential for a bad wreck, and people being disrespectful of grave markers. They are very aware of the bike traffic and could restrict access completely if they wanted to. Please be courteous.

Highway 43 heading north is not so bad, but I really don't like it heading south. Going through the cemetary is best way to get into Lake Oswego and West Linn.