Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Site Admin

Default Yaquina Bay Bridge

Has anyone been over that bridge on a bike? My riding partner and I will be leaving Portland tomorrow and riding to Newport and ending at the Rogue Pub that's on the south end of the bridge. I'm terrified of heights. What's it like to go over? Is it safe? Am I going to die? Thanks
Old 06-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Site Admin

Smile

It is rideable. There is a bike crossing button on both sides, it turns on the flashing "Bikes on Bridge" signals. Bikes should ride across in the road. If you use the sidewalk you must walk your bike. Weekend see a lot of traffic, just stay to the right as much as possible. WARNING: watch out for the cross winds, if one hits you unexpectedly it could move you 1-2 feet. Some cars may get upset that you are there, but that is too be expected whenever you make a car wait more than 2 seconds. Concentrate on your riding and holding a line. This is a rideable bridge, thousands go across every year.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:06 AM
Site Admin

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks so much for that. I was going to ride in the road no matter what anyway. I'll watch for the winds, that's to be expected. You may my day much more relaxing. Thanks
Old 06-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Site Admin

Default Thanks again!

I saw the button to push, thanks again. We were just about over the bridge and someone swore at us to get off. I guess I could've accomodated him by plummeting to my death, but thought the better. A little over eight hours to get there total, about 7:45 riding time. I'm beat!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Site Admin

Wow, that's quite a feat! Glad you made it okay... some day I'll have to try that!

Kt
Old 06-25-2007, 08:54 AM
Site Admin

Default Ride

Thanks, it took about 8 hours, minus 25 minutes for breaks. The weather was perfect, which really helped. I'm not a mega mile kind of rider. I'm 49 and not in superb shape, far from it. My neighbor and I like to go on rides to the beach, with the Pelican Brew Pub in Pacific City our favorite place. Newport was at the upper limits of mileage for me. The last 7-8 miles were a grind for some reason. Finishing at the Rogue Pub was a nice finish. I wish they had a patio or deck of some sort.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Site Admin

What route did you take?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Site Admin

Default Route

We live in the Rock Creek area. We went to Newport via Sherwood to Newberg to hwy 18 to Grande Ronde to Lincoln City and down 101. Any other way would have been really long. We don't like 18 from Grande Ronde to Lincoln City as it's pretty narrow. We found the drivers pretty courteous and gave us wide berth. Our next beach ride will be to Seaside by way of hwy. 30 to Scappoose to Mist to Birkenfeld to Youngs River Road to Seaside. That should be fun.