Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Site Admin

Smile Woodstock to 6th and Jackson downtown, by PSU?

Hi

A friend would like to meet up. I would like to ride at 11am tomorrow instead bussing it.
Anyone have a route they think is preferable?

This came up on the Cycle map. Anything you might change up?

Thanks!

Kenny

West - SE Harold St - 0.01 mi
2 - Right - SE 52nd Ave - 0.11 mi
3 - Left - SE Steele St - 1.50 mi
4 - Right - SE 26th Ave - 1.29 mi
5 - Left - SE Clinton St - 0.24 mi
6 - Right - SE 21st Ave - 0.10 mi
7 - Left - SE Division St - 0.02 mi
8 - Right - SE Ladd Ave - 0.63 mi
9 - Left - SE Clay St - 0.28 mi
10 - Right - SE 7th Ave - 0.10 mi
11 - Left - SE Madison St - 0.10 mi
12 - Cont. - SE Madison St - Hawthorne Brg Ramp - 0.35 mi
13 - Right - Hawthorne Brg - 0.33 mi
14 - Cont. - SW Madison St - 0.05 mi
15 - Left - SW 1st Ave - 0.05 mi
16 - Right - SW Jefferson St - 0.31 mi
17 - Left - SW Broadway - 0.44 mi
18 - Left - SW Jackson St - 0.05 mi
19 - End - SW 6th Ave & SW Jackson St
Disclaimer: As you are riding, please keep in mind that you don't have to follow the suggested route. It may not be safe at any given point. If you see what looks like an unsafe or undesirable stretch in the suggested route, you can decide to walk, ride on the sidewalk, or go a different way.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Site Admin

That route looks fine to me. The whole Ladd's Addition neighborhood can be a little tricky if you've never done it before. Things to watch for:

* Intersection at 21st/Division/Ladd - make sure you angle down Ladd instead of a 90 degree right turn onto 20th.

* Make a full, foot-on-the-ground stop at the stop signs at the big roundabout in case there are cops looking to ticket riders.

* Watch for the signs to make sure you turn right off the roundabout back onto Ladd or you can get hopelessly confused meandering through Ladd's Addition.

* Finally, look for the "bike left turn lane" when you're turning off Ladd onto Clay, 'cause there's a curb cut there that you have to go through.

Other than that, piece o' cake. Bike lanes or boulevards the whole way until downtown. Have fun.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Site Admin

Default How about Spring Water?

Thanks a lot. Do you how to access the Springwater Cooridor and get to Takayashi sushi on 2415 SW 5th Ave (new chosen destination)? I know the route below is over 6 miles. I imagine the Springwater would be a nice and possibly quicker (also safer by far) ride.

1 - West - SE Harold St - 0.01 mi
2 - Right - SE 52nd Ave - 0.11 mi
3 - Left - SE Steele St - 1.50 mi
4 - Right - SE 26th Ave - 1.29 mi
5 - Left - SE Clinton St - 0.24 mi
6 - Right - SE 21st Ave - 0.10 mi
7 - Left - SE Division St - 0.02 mi
8 - Right - SE Ladd Ave - 0.63 mi
9 - Left - SE Clay St - 0.28 mi
10 - Right - SE 7th Ave - 0.10 mi
11 - Left - SE Madison St - 0.10 mi
12 - Cont. - SE Madison St - Hawthorne Brg Ramp - 0.35 mi
13 - Right - Hawthorne Brg - 0.33 mi
14 - Cont. - SW Madison St - 0.05 mi
15 - Left - SW 1st Ave - 0.34 mi
16 - Right - SW Harrison St - 0.20 mi
17 - Left - SW 5th Ave - 0.37 mi
18 - End - 2415 SW 5th Ave
Old 06-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Site Admin

The S-water Corridor wouldn't be the most direct route for this trip, for a number of reasons.

The river crossing is the key consideration for this trip. You have two choices; the Hawthorne or the Sellwood. If you take the S-water, you have to travel south to access the corridor, then west to the Willamette. The most logical place to cross the Willamette on this route is the Sellwood Bridge. That's a really poor, poor bridge for bikes. Plus, the west side of the Willamette between the Sellwood and downtown is bikeable, but it's a somewhat complicated route and the connection between the S. Waterfront area (where you wind up) and your destination on 5th is not very good, involving a crossing of Barbur Blvd.

You could take the S-water down to the Willamette, then head north up the east bank through Oaks Bottom, then cross the Hawthorne instead of the Sellwood. But, if you're crossing the Hawthorne anyway, I think the route you posted is the most direct and optimal one.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Site Admin

Default there and back

The route I had listed was great to get there. Took about 45 minutes on my old early 70's 5 spd cruiser.

The Ladd Circle through me off for a moment, but after making one circle I got back on track. : )

Takimashi sushi (address I had was the old one!) took me only 5 more minutes to get to from the PSU area jammin down 4th to Burnside to the left, and then a right on Broadway.
I hadnt realised it was the same place in Japantown I had been to the 1st month we lived here over 7 months ago.

Returning I told the Cooridor from Madison st downtown, off the Hawthorne and got off on Tacoma. Turned in the the Sellwodd Hood, and then off to Bybee.

Nice ride today!

Kenny