Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Site Admin

Default Does getting shot at/near count?

I was on a 50 mile ride, and I was by Bald Peak and I just couldn't hold it anymore and I had to make a "pit stop". I pulled up near a tree, dropped my bike, walked to the tree and before I could start I heard a loud boom, and there was a guy in his orchard (the tree I was approaching was not a orchard tree) and he had a shotgun in his hand. He then fires a second shot in the air over my head and over the road.
I very quickly got back on my my bike and rode up the road a bit, where I wouldn't get shot at.
I am still stewing at ways to scare the shit out of the guy who did this. I actually have doubts I was on his property, as I don't think I was greater than 30 feet from the center of the road (standard easment distance).

I am not saying making a "pit stop" is acceptable (or legal), but sometimes you are without any public restrooms for long periods and you have to do what you have to do. However, I highly doubt shooting a shotgun above someones head is any better!!
Old 03-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Site Admin

Stewing over ways to scare him?

Why aren't you calling the police? Not reporting this guy is in the neighborhood of giving him permission to do it to someone else.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Site Admin

Unhappy Sheesh

Maybe you are embarrassed to report this. I can understand. But in my opinion it would have been better if you had reported it to the police anyway, as long as you yourself didn't do anything illegal.

Failure to report will only encourage the perp, and next time he might aim lower ..or not wait for you to leave the road.

For what it is worth, I don't think there is really a standard space away from the road that is considered "public" - it depends on a lot of things. Like, where I live (out in the country) the public right of way ends about five feet from the pavement. Even so, trespassing all by itself is not a license to shoot you. And even if he intended to "scare" you, accidents happen. You could have been killed.

Forget about scaring him. IMO, report it to authorities or just take it as a lesson learned. Anything else you are thinking of doing would be likely to be illegal or possibly result in the guy's use of deadly force (as he seems prone to do).

Anyway, we're all glad you didn't get hurt.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:20 AM
Site Admin

Report it. Please
What the person did was//is illegal.
You did not pose an immediate threat to his life. That he would/could perceive otherwise indicates his likely instability
If I recall correctly there are also laws about discharging weapons in the direction of roads.
Hell, at least post his address. I ride in this area and really dont want to run into this freak.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Site Admin

I will get his address and post it, that is for sure.
So, the craziness of it all. The guy I was riding with that day, I was riding with last weekend. We were on a little different ride distance so we rode to his half way point and he turned around. On his way back his bottle cage broke (very strange), so he turned around to pick up his water bottle and broken cage out of the ditch (i.e. picking up his trash). While he was picking up his water bottle, a guy shot a shotgun in his direction and told his dog to "Sick 'em" and the dog started chasing him. This was at least ten miles from Bald peak (the other shooting location), this was near gaston. Maybe my buddy is just bad luck.

Regardless, I rode 4,000 miles last year along many of these same roads and never had a problem with any of the locals, and when I crashed outside of one farmers house, he was very kind and made sure I was okay.

I agree, if I ever see this again, I am going to go down the road a bit, where it is safe and I am going to call the cops and report it. I agree with you guys, that is the only right thing to do, even though what I would like to do is far different, but I am a better man than he is.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Site Admin

It *is* illegal to fire in the direction of a road. He can't claim self-defense, either - he has to provide you with audible warning first, and you have to be within 21' of him to be considered a legitimate threat. (note - I am not a lawyer, but this information was given out to me at a firearms class at the Clackamas County PSTC)
Old 04-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Site Admin

Okay, the address is 30295 SW Bald Peak Rd, Hillsboro, OR 97123.

Here is a link to the location on a map. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...m=1&iwloc=addr
Old 04-12-2007, 01:11 AM
Site Admin

i definitely agree with reporting it.

however know that if the crazy dude is questioned, he may pull the "public indecency" card.
though it doesn't justify his actions, he may make a claim just to make things more complicated for you.
might even allege that you were were looking at him, masturbating...etc...
i know various states and jurisdictions take different perspectives on this law.

couldn't hurt to run it past a lawyer here in oregon, just to make sure you're safe.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Site Admin

Actually, I never got to the point of exposing myself to the tree (Kind of weird writing about this). I had someone with me as a witness. Not to mention I was wearing bib shorts, and... well.... doing anything other than the necessities would be rather difficult I think.