Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Site Admin

Default Tigard to Durham via Tualatin-Sherwood

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a longer route to commute to work. Right now, my commute is 5.25 miles (give or take a half tenth).

My proposed route is Hwy 99W to Tualatin-Sherwood Rd, then cut through the Haggen parking lot to Boones Ferry, over the river and up the hill to Upper Boones Ferry, straight on to the office.

My question is, how busy and/or safe is this proposed route? I've been on Tual-Sher on the weekend, but never at 7:00AM on a weekday. And I haven't biked on 99W past Durham Rd, weekday or weekend.

If anyone has any words of wisdom or advice, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
Kristen
Old 03-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Site Admin

I worked in Sherwood for years and know Tual-Sherwood road pretty well.
I am not a fan of how bad the traffic can get at rush hour. If you are comfortable in heavy traffic then all is well; I would light yourselfs up though as the speed limit on this road is seldom obeyed. Ciople(sp?) road is a little tamer and goes from Grimms Fuel to Tual road saving you some time and hopefully some traffic. Riding 99w can be pleasant past Durham but again it all depends on traffic flow; whenever I am in deep Washington County I have as much yellow on as I can muster and full lights even in the daytime. Ride safe and see you on the road.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Site Admin

Thanks, Norse Rider!

I have lots of lights and reflective gear.

I've driven down Cipole, it doesn't appear to have bike lanes or a shoulder on some of it. It always seems like there's cars and some rather large trucks on that road, at least during the day (not sure about morning/evening).

But... Cipole to Hermann Rd.... do you know how Hermann is? I suppose I could go drive it one of these mornings and find out!

I don't like Durham Rd because it goes by the high school and I've had too many close calls with impatient teenagers there.

Thanks again, and I will see you on the road one of these days!

Kristen
Old 03-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Site Admin

Herman Rd. is O.K. IMHO no road is great out in this part of Washington County. From 99W to Cipole you can get a good head of steam going and if you big wheel it you should be able to fly down that road. This seems to work for me but to each his or her own. Durham flat sucks with annoying SUV's and teenagers coming at you from all angles. I have ridden Durham at night when Tigard High School is not in and it was much better. Ride hard and be safe.