Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Site Admin

Default vegetarianism and training

This is probably not a new topic but I seek wisdom and advice. These cold dark & wet months it seems vegan/veggie fare is cheap easy and so nourishing, compatible with off season training. I dig the beans, winter veggies, dark greens and brown rice etc. But I am hosed when the serious training months begin. Long mileage training doesn't fit with the protein choices of the winter months. I am a CO 4 timer and the veggie meals were great last year but still hard to achieve at home. Can we truly retain a veggie or vegan lifestyle and meet adequate protein requirements during a training season ??? I sadly admit that last summer I reluctantly added turkey sandwiches to my training regime and felt I lost fat while gaining muscle and amazingly avoided injury in a 1200 mile month pre cycle Oregon. It may have been Karma not turkey, but now I have used all that up.........
Old 01-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Site Admin

Default soy

Do you have an allergy to soy? An estrogen/testosterone imbalance? I know some people stay away from soy as it is effectively similar to estrogen especially if it is the main protein source. (this has nothing to do with other threads!)

If you answered no to the soy questions, well then that may be your answer! Tofu, and tempeh have huge amounts of easily digestable protein. Wheat gluten or seitan are also great choices. Quinoa is a grain that holds within it a complete protein. It is also damn tasty. It was a staple aboard most sailing vessels for centuries.

You also state vegetarian, if you are consuming dairy it is chock full of protein. As are eggs.

There are soy and non-soy based protein powders available as well.

I have been vege for 15 years and vegan foir 10. Ridden my bike from Canada to Mexico several times with no trouble. Doctors tell me all is well and my body feels great.

Protein is very, very easy to come by without meat consumption.

Last edited by steelsreal; 01-22-2007 at 06:09 PM. Reason: hungry tummy
Old 01-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Site Admin

Default soy protein

Yes I eat alot of soy though I have women friends who lecture me that it isn't wise, I have other thoughts... (I'd love another thread on the abundance today of very processed soy products, are we over processing under the guise of health food ?) Sorry, I was not clear on my reference to the Cycle Oregon veggie fare last year, the catering company rocked with soy alternatives like tofu and seitan. Still....summer and spring I suffer and live on cereal and salad along with the ubiquitous cliff bars, GU and marshmallows melted with fig newtons for power miles. I will eat eggs under strict rules re: treatment of the bearer but it's a compromise. Dairy is hard but not yogurt. Cheese only without rennet....in strict moderation. What about daily meals ? How do you eat and get quality calories ? Don't mean to be indiscrete but some things at high mileage don't fare well in the lower gut, if you know what I mean. Can we start a receipe thread ?

Last edited by vseven; 01-22-2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 01-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Site Admin

Default shootin from the gut

Now I see what you were getting at! I shoot for muscle building in the winter months, gearing into loads of cardio and high aerobic in the summer. Obviously working on a bit of both all the time.

I agree that processed soy is not so swell. I know people who live on vegie nuggets and gardenburgers... YUCK!

I know people who live communally who comment on how the abundance of soy affects the group dynamic. I have heard urban myths about guys growin boobs and the like. I feel soy is fine in moderation, unless the body has some sort of an imbalance. There is certainly no shortage of hormones in most peoples meat, so I think that argument is a tad silly.

My diet in the summer is less protein more complex carbs. My summer protein shifts more heavily to nuts and nut butters. And you were worried about euphamisms for tummy trouble! I just said nut butters....

Anyway, oatmeal or quinoa with almond butter in the morning. Fruits, nuts and a light tempeh/tofu sandwichy kind of thing for lunch and snacks.

On the bike I will eat bars, or clif shots. I am also all about the cookies! I carbo load in the morning with complex and simple carbs and a touch of protein. While riding I am all about the sugar, quick simple fuel. Reload at night after recovery and start again...

Loads of grains, vegan pastas and fresh veggies for dinner. I take most of my protein in the evenings. Plenty of time to digest before morning!

Funny you mention cycle-o. I though the food was terrible this year. I wasn't to fond of the new catering company. Lots of other grumbles were heard as well, but how do you please thousands of people?

Quinoa might be something to look into as it has loads of protein and is very tummy friendly. Tempeh is supposedly easier to digest as it is fermented already. Miso soup? Nutritional yeast?

I usually feel like I get too much protein....

Last edited by steelsreal; 01-22-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Site Admin

Default "GET OUT" as lainy would say

Too much protein on a vegan diet ? Really ???
Ok I gotta agree on last year's Cycle Oregon there was a tofu should we say verload: but they tried hard and the seasoning was good.

Quinoa yes, last night in my rice cooker, try it ( the rice cooker) if you haven't already. And I agree re: oatmeal, the ONLY reliable meal (with yogurt added) for morning fuel. Raisins will work too maybe almond butter swirled in but not whole nuts.

Still, heated foods and beans I don't handle well in hot months. Seitan I rarely use.... suggestions ????

Do you make sandwiches in the summer with soy ???

And now the monkey wrench in the works....what about those amino protein thingamabobs ???

Last edited by vseven; 01-22-2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Oatmeal !
Old 01-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Site Admin

Default thingamabobs

I am serious, I have never felt short on Protein. The only supplements I take are emergen c's or however it is spelled and a daily multi-vitamin. I doubt I need the multi-vitamin but old habits are hard to kill...

I do eat a lot of tempeh sandwiches in the summer. Lots of bananas too for some reason.

I eat a lot of cold soups in the summer. My food processer is my friend! Lots of smoothies, that occaisionally contain silken-tofu. Lots and lots of pasta, both hot and cold. Is beer food?

I mainly use seitan in gravy.... MMMMM gravy! I also like it with nuts, dried fruit and rice, add a little ginger and some tamari...YUM! I equate tofu to chicken or turkey, seitan to steak. Horrible comparisons, though that is how I substitute when using a recipe calling for flesh.

I have no info on the amino-protien thingamabobs. We sell them at work and I have sat through many a dreary clinic extolling their virtues. In one ear and out the other. People come in asking for that stuff by name and never need to be "sold" on it. I can't imagine bringing it up to our average customer. Loads of blank stares would ensue.

I am sure there must be people on here who use them and can tell you why. I am not one of them however...

The largest and most powerful creatures to have ever lived did just fine without them and meat... Seems to work fine for me too. Though I have no opinion on what others consume and wish them the best!

If you are listening to your body, I bet it will tell you what to do.

Last edited by steelsreal; 01-22-2007 at 07:06 PM. Reason: too many exclamations
Old 01-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up MMMM! Bavarian Chocolate

For a protein boost, I like Naturade Total Meal Replacement powder. Two scoops (39gr) gives you 13 grams of protein. I mix it with 300ml of soy milk for 8 more grams of protein.

You can get it at Fred Myers in the bulk/health section.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Site Admin

There's also Barilla fortified pasta, I'm not sure though if the omega-3 is vegetarian though. Anyways, it's packed full of protein carbs and other good things. The only downside is that it doesn't taste great or have all that good of texture.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Site Admin

Molly Cameron competes at an elite level and she is vegan, so it can be done.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Site Admin

Default vegetarianism and Endurance training

Road riding, training, and racing can be done on a veggie diet, however, one can also eat glass.
if you want to eat in the most economical manner, try eating food that humans evolved eating, (ie meat) endurance training depletes testosterone levels, and the only way to truly "supplement" a diet would be to eat foods that contain animal products. Dont go out and eat bacon non stop, because the sat. fats are can be detrimental to your health, but poultry and fish are A -OK.
The entire of idea of eating as a veggie, yet NEEDING to supplement with soy and whey (and B12 for you vegans) non stop is a crock. Those foods are far more processed (harder to digest) than are your locally and naturally grown meats and fishes.
One essential amino acid is carnitine, found in red meats. it helps greatly with muscle soreness. Dont go out and buy a supplement because it is very difficult to digest if you dont eat it in its natural ratio with other foods.
Besides the protein issue, you are probaly not consuming enough triglyerides, which saps energy as well.

if you really insist on continuing to be a vegetarian, check out Hammer Nutrition out of Montana. They make every supplement you could need to be a veggie endurance athlete.

However, its much cheaper and easier to buy locally grown food from a market than to mailorder all of the food you need. I would stick with REAL food. Check out Joel Friel's book "Paleo Diet for Endurance Training"
It will be eye opening. If you try it, your training will improve.