Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Site Admin

Default Route from Portland to Sandpoint ID?

I'm in the what-if stage of planning a ride to Sandpoint Idaho. I'm familiar with the Gorge, but what about from the Tri-Cities to Spokane? I don't want to ride Hwy 395 or the Columbia Plateau Trail, and that leaves some roads that may have few services. Any ideas would be oh, so appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Site Admin

http://permanents.seattlerando.org/2...o-kellogg.html
http://permanents.seattlerando.org/2...d-othello.html

These might help. Or not.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Site Admin

I love the back roads in the Palouse and that Othello to Kellogg route looks very interesting. I'd look at going through the gorge to 97, up to Goldendale, back roads (Bickleton, Sellards) to Kennewick and Pasco, then on toward Palouse Falls State Park on back roads (Kahlotus) east of 395, and aim to hook up with that permanent route somewhere before Colfax. Just be aware that there are plenty of unpaved roads out there and maps don't always show where the paving ends. (Some are impassible during the winter.)

Sequoia mentioned concerns about services. There's food (mini-marts and some towns) fairly often along Hwy 26 but the gaps from Goldendale to Tri-Cities, and then to Kahlotus (or Washtucna), are fully rural and should be checked out and planned for. Not all the food-stop towns have motels. If you carry camping gear there are good campground and stealth options, or maybe there's even a Warm Showers host out there.

Summer temps can be high and there's no shade. Winters are gray, cold and damp (though not perpetually wet). I'd aim for April/May for the spring green-up and flowers, or Sep/Oct for the golden hues, and maybe a gorgeous cock pheasant.

The Palouse is all about hills, just sayin'.

Highway 12 over White Pass to Yakima is another way to connect from the west side. It has wide, well-paved, reasonably clean shoulders from I-90 east, although above Packwood it narrows for the pass. It's a busy highway with semis and traffic mostly goes 55mph.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Site Admin

Default Thanks to lynne and alan

Great ideas. I'll hop to my map and check out the routes. I'm aware of the heat in summer, but I'm also remembering to count on rain in Sandpoint through June. I may have to compromise. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Site Admin

Another route to check out is in Simple Nature's post, Shout-Out: Trails of Coeur d'Alenes, and the website for that trail system: http://friendsofcdatrails.org/.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Site Admin

Default WA State bike map

'87 --- this is a pretty useful planning resource, for overview purposes - free paper copies available:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/bike/statemap.htm

in my experience the "black" roads (paved, but no traffic data) are often the best - because they're almost always really low traffic.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Site Admin

Jeff, I once tried to get a physical paper bike specific map from Washington State but was referred to local bike shops who referred me back to the chamber of commerce. No one had what I was looking for but a mysterious bike shop funded map was alluded to. The bike shops in Spokane claimed complete ignorance.

Do you have a direct link as to where we can get paper copies of this map/these maps?
Old 11-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Site Admin

Thanks, I found the Washington bike map sections online to be pretty good but I'll still seek out more local maps. Google maps is good, however it took me to the Columbia Plateau Trail north of Pasco for about 50 miles on gravel. I'll save that for another trip.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Site Admin

S-N, I know the City of Portland Transportation bike folks have a few lying around -
try emailing this guy, pretty sure he can find you one -
jeff.smith@portlandoregon.gov
Old 11-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Site Admin

Thanks Jeff... message sent.

Tags
bike touring, eastern washington, sandpoint, spokane