Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Site Admin

Default Found iPhone on Wilsonville I5 Bridge NB

Anyone missing your iPhone after riding across the Boone Bridge in Wilsonville? It's password protected so I can't open it to see who's it is, but if you know the number and password it's yours. one of my riding buddies actually has it now, to take to the Apple Store tomorrow to see if they can help find the owner. But if you know the number and password I will gladly help get it back to you. Appears to be undamaged. (Lifeproof case.)
Old 07-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Site Admin

I decided to take off the screenlock on my 'droid just because most people are good like you, RonC, and will try to return a phone. But while I had it locked I found there's an option to put some text info into the lock screen, like name and alternate phone contact so maybe it can find its way back to me. I haven't checked but I'd guess that iPhone has something similar.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I haven't checked but I'd guess that iPhone has something similar.
Nope. Has a cute picture of a kid, but no other identifier. I have my name and phone number with my wife's name and number taped to the back of my phone. You're entirely right though, it's a very good idea to have some way that people can identify a misplaced or lost phone, so the owner can be easily contacted.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Site Admin

Great news. The phone's owner has been found. My friend tried to take it to Verizon to see if they could track down the owner last night, and they told him he would need to go to the Apple store. He was ushering at a Chamber Music NW concert last night, and after the concert his car was surrounded by police who were able to track the phone. I guess it was pretty un-mellow, no thank you's etc.. More like "were did you get this phone..." line of questioning. But it turns out the phone fell off a boat being towed up the highway, so it wasn't even bike related.

Anyway, just glad the phone got back to it's owner. Would have been so much easier if it had ID attached to it.

Last edited by RonC; 07-14-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
...his car was surrounded by police who were able to track the phone. I guess it was pretty un-mellow, no thank you's etc.. More like "were did you get this phone..." line of questioning.
How did they track it? GPS on the phone? Did it stay charged up that long or had he charged it? Guess a smart thief would power off his e-loot.

Sorry the cops decided to be harsh about it but I'm glad they're serious about tracking down phones, and that the person got it back. Maybe there's hope for tracking devices on bikes.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
How did they track it? GPS on the phone? Did it stay charged up that long or had he charged it? Guess a smart thief would power off his e-loot.
Yes, iPhones have tracking devices, and we saw no reason to power it down hoping the owner would just call. Still had juice, so no charging required.

Good point about tracking devices and bikes though. I hadn't thought of that!
Old 07-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Site Admin

"...He was ushering at a Chamber Music NW concert last night, and after the concert his car was surrounded by police who were able to track the phone. I guess it was pretty un-mellow, no thank you's etc.. ..." Ron C

A bunch of cops zeroing in on the signal of a mobile phone emanating from within someone's car, only to find the person in possession of it came by the phone by honest means, and was simply trying to return it to its owner. Sounds familiar.

Perhaps the phones owner gave the police some story that led them to believe they were hot on the trail of a thief.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Site Admin

this story is sad and funny...

I can lose something and call the police and they'll send multiple units to help me find it? I should remember this next time I lose the remote...

if this were an O'live article: Police surround cyclist after reportedly stolen iPhone tracked.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbob View Post
Perhaps the phones owner gave the police some story that led them to believe they were hot on the trail of a thief.
I wondered about that too. What I find amazing was that the phone fell off the edge of the boat being towed at freeway speeds and survived unscathed. It was in a Lifeproof case, which is waterproof and shock-resistant. (I have the same case myself, since I run a masters swim practice and use it for underwater video.) Pretty impressive survival story.