Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Site Admin

Did you get the officer's name? It might be helpful to contact the department and his commander and point to the specific ORS codes listed above to "remind" them of the laws. Not to be confrontational, but with a technical and cool description, and an understanding that our fine men and women in blue/black have literally thousands of laws out there, and that it's understandable that perhaps a few fall through the cracks.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Site Admin

I agree about reasonable doubt, and in this case the cop's suggestions were so at odds with the law that any consideration of gray area is completely cast aside. That was just me wondering out loud about how the law--and rider safety!--does fit that situation.

BTW, while it's not technically a precedent and it's in Portland, not Beaverton, the 2006 case of Jeff Smith (represented by Mark Ginsberg) is often mentioned when it comes to ORS 814.430(2)(b), left turns and bike lanes, and might be worth having in mind for BBAC: http://bikeportland.org/2006/11/07/e...lane-case-2497

more here: http://bikeportland.org/tag/814-420

Last edited by Alan; 07-05-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: rider safey[sic] - fixed! :)
Old 07-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Site Admin

Thanks Alan. I will certainly have these on hand with other evidence.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Count me with the others, here. The cop was wrong to suggest you had to remain on the right or that you should take the sidewalk. Both 814.420 and 814.430 allow bikes to move left in similar situations, and it makes sense to me to take that lane in this case. I like wsbob's suggestion to take the matter to the BBAC; it's a good opportunity to bring city cops up to speed on bike laws.

I say "similar situations" because I do see a little gray area. Looking at streetviews it looks like there's a left-only lane onto Farmington (TV Hwy 10), and from Simple Nature's description he was actually going just past Farmington to take his left, perhaps into the alley just past the RR tracks? Since the left-most lane is left ONLY, and since S.N. is actually going past the Farmington left, maybe the correct legal place to be is in the center "go straight" lane south of Farmington, moving to the left side of that lane as it becomes the left-most lane as it crosses Farmington. Does that make sense?

I don't well remember the left turn only sign for the left lane on Hall at Canyon/TV Hwy, but I think there probably is one. If Millikan, north of TV Hwy were the destination, the center lane would probably be the more correct lane to use to get there from Farmington...but if instead, Broadway were the destination, then the left lane would be the correct lane. Typical required jostling around that puts exceptions for use of the bike lane in perspective.

Simple Nature...you probably know the ropes, but if you go the advisory committee meeting, go 5 minutes early, and try ask the chair if they have a few minutes for a guest inquiry-presentation. There's usually some time allowed for that on the agenda. My sense is that there are officers in the Beav that understand full well how bike traffic needs to use lanes other than the bike lane to manage a route over and across streets and roads, and that those having the impression that was related to you, are probably a small number. Beaverton has bike cops that could probably relate.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Site Admin

Thanks for the tip wsbob. I have it on my calendar for 7/11.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Site Admin

SN...hope you made it to the Beav BAC meeting, and that the reception to your input was positive, and constructive. Any comments or info from committee members worth reporting here would be welcomed by people reading here, I would think.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:52 AM
Site Admin

Well.. yes. I made it to the meeting.

In general, the committee members are good cycling oriented people but for the most part. In general, they are primarily commuter or part time cyclist. The sense I got is that they were conservative in their cycling habits bordering on timid opting for crosswalks over their right to using the roadway. One even suggested that merging like a car didn't apply to cyclists. Excuse me? Predictable is the watch-word in the cyclists handbook.

Also the general consensus was that BAC couldn't help with guidance or provide any support on a advocacy basis. They would defer to the BPD regarding question and guidance.

I did learn that there is a bikeway planned between Lombard and Hall for '14-'15 timeframe. No clear vision was available of how that would connect to Millikan Way.

Odd thing was, the only bike officer that was there basically told me to suck it up; "...it was only a warning!", fully ignoring the fact that lecturing a cyclist was more important than aggressive drivers. The fact that I took the time to bring this matter before BAC clearly shows it was more important to me than that. Furthermore, he had no constructive comment whatsoever on the matter. So if you run into a Beaverton bike officer named Patrick, expect a similar attitude.

Next time, I will be going to visit the precinct followed up by a letter to the city attorney. And I will also be sure to carry the applicable ORS at all times.

Basically, this was a futile effort.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Site Admin

can't help you with the Beaverton PD, but I am guessing the bikeway connecting Lombard and Hall would be where the "off road" path behind the apartment complex would be it.

Follow Millikan to its far eastern end, then ride across the lot behind the apartment complex. Voila, you are on Lombard!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Site Admin

SN...glad you made it to the meeting.

It seems to me that commuter type cyclists are one of the types of rider that are beneficial to have represented by one or more of the committee members. I hope they would be familiar with and receptive to the need of people traveling by bike, to make basic road use maneuvers such as moving across lanes of traffic to make left turns and so forth. And...how to do so in a reasonably safe manner without feeling obliged to not use the thoroughfares for bike travel.

Efficient bike travel for increasing numbers of people that bike, as they are confronted by the reality of having to deal with Beaverton's thoroughfares, involves a certain amount of 'vehicular cycling' (the term sometimes used to refer to riding that involves leaving the bike lane as needed to travel main lanes for left turns, through travel and so on.). As a Central Beaverton resident, it's important to me to know the committee member's perception of this road use need on the part of people that bike. Not just committee members, but City Hall, the police, and any resident with thoughts about this.

When I've gone to the meetings, there usually seemed to be at least one person on the committee dressed in their commuter gear. I see the bike cops around, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've seen them actually ride in traffic much, switching lanes and so forth, presenting themselves as examples of how to competently travel on a bike in traffic amongst motor vehicles.

Don't know anything about a bikeway between Lombard and Hall to connect with Millikan. More details are probably needed to understand what they were referring to. They may be referring to a short, east-west undeveloped connection north of Canyon Rd, between Lombard and Hall (Millikan begins just west of the Hall/Watson couplet.)
Correction: As per Lynnef's comment below, it slipped my mind that Millikan in a short stub, does in fact run 2-3 blocks east of Hall, and then dead ends within tantalizing view of the transit center and Lombard St. Why the city does not put the mojo on and give the dirt use path at least some minimal paving so the public can use it more conveniently, seems to be one of those city hall byzantine, bureaucratic mysteries.
We talked about that quite a bit, some years back here on this forum. It's exasperating to me that the city has not made a higher priority of getting the go-ahead to pave this short 200'-300' dirt path for a better bike-pedestrian alternative to Canyon Rd between the Beav Transit Center and points west. Again though, rather than the city being at fault for not getting projects like this done sooner, the lethargy may be due much more to residents not being more vocal about their interest in making such improvements a greater priority than they have been made.

I don't have a link right at hand, but it's worth looking on the City of Beav website for the Civic Plan pdf...also discussed here on the forums some years back, but still current and relevant. That extensive document lists many of the transportation improvement ideas the city has on the books for the next 30 years.

Last edited by wsbob; 07-12-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Site Admin

Millikan continues east of Hall and deadends by a field and apartment complex. There is a well-traveled path across the field to Lombard.