Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Site Admin

Default Suggestions for good eastside hill workout?

I live near Mt. Tabor and am trying to work out an efficient route that will integrate some climbs in addition to Mt. Tabor.
Is anyone out there willing to share a good hill training route for the east side?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Site Admin

Hi Karen,

I do a route that encompasses Mt. Tabor and Rocky Butte. I also throw in Council Crest (if you want to venture over the river).

Not certain where you're coming from, but in general, here's a potential route for you.

From the west side of Mt. Tabor, take Lincoln St. to the park entrance. Follow the park roads all the way to the summit. Coming back down, follow the road down to the crater, then turn right at the stop sign. Take the next left to exit the park at 69th Ave. Turn right on Yamhill, go screamin' downhill to 76th and hang a left. Jog left at Stark and continue straight on 76th. At Halsey, you need to go west a block or so to cross the Banfield on 74th. Turn right on Tillamook and follow it all the way to 92nd. Turn left on 92nd.

There are two ways to the summit of Rocky Butte. I recommend going past the first road you'll come to on this route as it involves riding uphill through a tunnel. Instead, ride past this road and hug the base of the hill until it begins to climb at the intersection with Fremont and 91st. You'll climb up past the big church/school complex with the domes on up to the summit.

That should give you some ideas. I've also looked at doing Mt. Scott, but it's a narrow road and fairly heavily trafficked.

There are maps online at http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...=70221&c=34809 to help you with route planning.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuovorecord
...I do a route that encompasses Mt. Tabor and Rocky Butte. I also throw in Council Crest (if you want to venture over the river).
Hi,

which way do you go up to Council Crest? All I can think of is ride up to NW 23rd and then take Vista.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrine
Quote:
...I do a route that encompasses Mt. Tabor and Rocky Butte. I also throw in Council Crest (if you want to venture over the river).
Hi,

which way do you go up to Council Crest? All I can think of is ride up to NW 23rd and then take Vista.
I go up Montgomery from where it intersects with SW 13th at the I-405 interchange. Cross Vista and continue straight on Montgomery. You can take Montgomery all the way up to Patton Rd. Turn right on Patton to climb up to Talbot Rd.

Or, if you want a real leg-snapping climb, veer right off Montgomery onto Upper Dr. This road is really bombed out - maybe the worst potholes in Portland, so pay attention - but then it makes a sharp turn to the left and goes almost straight up for probably a 1/2 mi. at most, but one of the hardest 1/2 miles you'll ride. I'm out of the saddle on a 39x26 gear, giving it everything I have. The road through here is one lane wide. (Kind of reminds me of the cobbled climbs seen in the Tour of Flanders in Belgium). Take the next left, then a quick right onto English Ct. which will take you to Patton Rd. From there, it's only a short climb to Talbot.

Turn left on Talbot and that'll take you to the base of Council Crest. Take a right on Greenway to get to the summit.

Either way, you avoid most of the traffic. Montgomery is very lightly traveled. The advantage of the "hard" route is that you can avoid more of riding on Patton Road.

If you look this up on Google Maps, it will make it easier to understand if the directions aren't clear.

Have fun!
Old 03-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Site Admin

Default Thanks!

Thank you for the route suggestions! That will be my weekend plan!
-Karen Z
Old 03-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Site Admin

Quote:

I go up Montgomery from where it intersects with SW 13th at the I-405 interchange. Cross Vista and continue straight on Montgomery. You can take Montgomery all the way up to Patton Rd. Turn right on Patton to climb up to Talbot Rd.

Or, if you want a real leg-snapping climb, veer right off Montgomery onto Upper Dr. This road is really bombed out - maybe the worst potholes in Portland, so pay attention - but then it makes a sharp turn to the left and goes almost straight up for probably a 1/2 mi. at most, but one of the hardest 1/2 miles you'll ride. I'm out of the saddle on a 39x26 gear, giving it everything I have. The road through here is one lane wide. (Kind of reminds me of the cobbled climbs seen in the Tour of Flanders in Belgium). Take the next left, then a quick right onto English Ct. which will take you to Patton Rd. From there, it's only a short climb to Talbot.

Turn left on Talbot and that'll take you to the base of Council Crest. Take a right on Greenway to get to the summit.

Either way, you avoid most of the traffic. Montgomery is very lightly traveled. The advantage of the "hard" route is that you can avoid more of riding on Patton Road.

If you look this up on Google Maps, it will make it easier to understand if the directions aren't clear.

Have fun!
Thanks a lot! That's great info. I don't think I'm ready for the hardest 1/2 mile I'll ever ride :D but I'll go for it soon enough :)
Old 03-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Site Admin

Default Head out to Happy Valley for some hills

If you want hills, come out to Happy Valley. There's two main ways into the area; one is going out Foster and turning right at the fire station at 134th and going up the hill that has different names-- Deardorff and eventually 132nd. That's about 400 feet in 1.5 miles. The other way is to come out Sunnyside Road and take a left at 122nd. Some of the bike lanes are pretty skimpy, the opportunity to do lots of climbing is there.

Once you get into the valley there are hills all over the place. Try Clatsop out here sometime. 565 ft. at the bottom, 780 at the crest, and 418 on the other side. Do that back and forth a few time times and you will now what Lactic Acid is.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Site Admin

I like going up the Alameda Ridge.