Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Site Admin

Default Buffered Bike Lanes on eastbound NW Evergreen

Heading back to Ronler Acres after an evening ride last week, I was very pleasantly surprised! The new pavement is wonderful, but the buffered bike lane is a bonus!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Site Admin

It took them long enough to get to the striping, but yes, the new stretch around the airport is definitely improved. Now if only they extended that effort all the way back to 185th
Old 05-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Site Admin

Ever since I was struck by a car on Evergreen in January, I cut down to Cornell on Aloclek, and give the stretch of Evergreen from Aloclek to Cornell a miss.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
Ever since I was struck by a car on Evergreen in January, I cut down to Cornell on Aloclek, and give the stretch of Evergreen from Aloclek to Cornell a miss.
Hi Lynne,
Really sorry to hear you were hit. I'm curious if that happened on Evergreen in the two blocks or so with no bike lanes just east of Cornelius Pass, and if so if it was east- or west-bound? I work just N of Evergreen on Aloclek Place, so I am pretty familiar with the area. I would like to put some pressure on the city of Hillsboro to improve that section, but since I don't reside in Hillsboro I don't have an elected rep to talk to. If you have spoken to anyone at the city about your experience I would love to follow up and give them some additional input.

Dave
Old 05-22-2013, 05:19 AM
Site Admin

That is east of Cornelius Pass Rd.

Still no bike lanes in that section.

I would assume the bike lanes were not put in there due to the now unused rail line. Widening the road at that point would have disrupted the trains.

Now that the rail line has been removed, except for the section of tracks crossing Evergreen, it would be nice to see that section widened for bike lanes and have those tracks removed.

I usually travel Evergreen heading to the east so it's pretty easy to hop onto the sidewalk at CP Rd if the traffic density it high.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Site Admin

I was struck (left-hooked) on Evergreen east of 185th, right by the Verizon store. Heading westbound, 8:00-ish in the morning. Low traffic, very clear line of sight.

I dislike the sidewalk stretch of Evergreen just east of Cornelius Pass - so many ways to die coming off that sidewalk at the end of the block.

1. car behind turning right
2. car ahead turning left
3. car turning out of the street that you must cross getting into the bike lane
Old 05-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Site Admin

I'd like to give a plus to Cornell from Evergreen to Aloclek - many fewer uncontrolled intersections, no major shopping center with driveway entrances/exits on both sides.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
I'd like to give a plus to Cornell from Evergreen to Aloclek - many fewer uncontrolled intersections, no major shopping center with driveway entrances/exits on both sides.
...and a light at Cornell.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
I was struck (left-hooked) on Evergreen east of 185th, right by the Verizon store. Heading westbound, 8:00-ish in the morning. Low traffic, very clear line of sight.

I dislike the sidewalk stretch of Evergreen just east of Cornelius Pass - so many ways to die coming off that sidewalk at the end of the block.

1. car behind turning right
2. car ahead turning left
3. car turning out of the street that you must cross getting into the bike lane
Every insane shopper along that stretch of Evergreen (E. of 185th) is a potential collision. There is no simple way around this other than being on Cornell before you get there. There is a nice quiet stretch just before 185th EB (188th) with a light at Cornell. That can get you moving on Cornell EB with minimal resistance.

When traffic allows, it is best to take the lane at the Evergreen/Cornelius Pass EB crossing. This allows vehicles behind you to turn right if they are that impatient, and they often appreciate it. Cars pulling up behind can easily see you and they take the left lane. If the light is stacking up, however, that sidewalk is about the only way drivers tolerate you. I've had some very rude interactions in that mere 200 yards.

Last edited by Simple Nature; 05-23-2013 at 07:58 AM.