Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Site Admin

Default Washington County looking for input on road maintenance

In this month's CPO3 newsletter there's a blurb titled "Public Invited to Comment on Washington County’s Draft Road Maintenance Plan". They provide a link to a document and an online comment form: http://bit.ly/YEAGvq . Something bicyclists might care about are the roads that the County plans to chip seal starting on page 3, including Roy Road, Laruelwood Road, and Scholls Sherwood Road.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by setha View Post
In this month's CPO3 newsletter there's a blurb titled "Public Invited to Comment on Washington County’s Draft Road Maintenance Plan". They provide a link to a document and an online comment form: http://bit.ly/YEAGvq . Something bicyclists might care about are the roads that the County plans to chip seal starting on page 3, including Roy Road, Laruelwood Road, and Scholls Sherwood Road.
Thanks for posting this. Some really nice roads are gonna suck real soon.

The only thing I can think of that can really get some traction with the county as I have seen it practiced before, is to ask that good quality designated buke lanes be preserved on the edges of applicable projects. No need to slurry-seal or chip-seal perfectly good bike lanes. This also saves money on striping and labor.

It is a huge list. I don't know right off-hand how many miles would be affected by this request. I will see if I can put in the request through the email as a generic statement.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Site Admin

If anyone can add to this, please do:

"Please consider preserving designated bike lanes that are currently in good condition. Slurry seal and chip seal treatments in bike lanes reduce their rideability. The impact of fatigue and increased rolling resistance from these surfaces treatments will negatively impact Washington Co. roads as a destination to cyclists. This could result in a significant negative economic impact. Furthermore, surface treatment labor and striping costs can be reduced with a careful review of the roads targeted for maintenance with regard to this request. This is not an unprecedented request as it is a win-win proposal previously practiced in Hillsboro as well as some Washington Co. projects. Thank you for your consideration of this request."
Old 04-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Site Admin

Some time back in a discussion at bikeforums, questions about the quality riding surface chipseal results in, came up.

In response, a guy claiming to have been a civil engineer, wrote that chipseal repaving can use smaller gravel to avoid the overly rough surfaces some people have come to associate with the chipseal paving process. I wonder if anyone reading here, knows more about whether this is true, and if so, pros and cons.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by setha View Post
They have to stop this chipseal stuff, it's destroying tires and is the worst surface in which to ride. Of course, this is probably of little concern to them, but I'll write them anyway. I wrote to complain about the chipseal on Jackson Quarry and the person who wrote back almost was bragging about how smooth it was going to be. Completely destroyed the road for biking.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Site Admin

For cycling surfaces, there really needs to be an acceptance standard.

I have seen very good slurry seal jobs, and I have seen very bad slurry seal jobs. Within one season, Hillsboro destroyed 50% of all the really smooth bike lanes with a very aggressive slurry seal project.