Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Site Admin

Default Bike safety light

I get Google Offers and every now and then, the Bike Safety light from http://www.bikeglow.com/ is offered for $13 instead of $25.

I don't know if they're any good, but the current offer expires in 13 days. https://www.google.com/offers/ppo/SE...TqUkmQS7iSXSc4
Old 02-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Site Admin

I saw at Fred's in Beaverton, a few of the Vivitar 'go-pro' knock-offs with a steep markdown: $40, down from $100. Didn't study the specs, don't know what it can do, but it's most likely not going to do what a $300 go-pro can.

Still, maybe it has some good use for some of you smart people out there. I can say this: the camera looks good on the outside. By just a quick glance, it looked to me a lot like the go-pro, with the clear plastic shell.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up

Kenton Cycle Repair is having a 20% off of tune ups special for February. Free estimates and other deals as well. Good little shop that focuses on keeping the current and discarded bikes on the road and not so much of adding new ones. Great welding skills as well.
http://kentoncyclepdx.com/
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Site Admin

Fred's Beaverton has one remaining of the earlier mentioned Vivitar go-pro knockoff's, again at $40. I have no personal experience to recommend this unit. If anyone knows this would be a good deal for them, now's the time. You could roll your bike right into the NW entrance to the store and pick it up
Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Site Admin

At Beaverton Target on Beav/Hillsdale Hwy Friday, clearance rack, there were a number of Hi-Vis orange Champion brand long sleeve three-quarter zip running jerseys. Very nice lightweight sueded fleece fabric. A range of sizes from S to XL, possibly XXL too ...sorry, didn't look. Half-price at $12.50

Label says 'running', but I'd say the fit is fine for casual cycling too. No back pockets. Under arms appear to be cut generously, rather than close like racing jerseys. Especially for the money, it's good quality for a good deal.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Site Admin

For guys, maybe gals, depending: Bright orange micro fleece vest, at Fred's...$12.99 sale price. 'Great Northwest' brand: Not quite hi-vis orange...In the store, I compared it side by side, next to something that was hi-vis...but it's getting there.

It's got zip pockets, nice for storing keys and I.D., billfold, etc. Pockets are a bit odd, in that they're spaced kind of close together, so they're not deep, not really enough room for putting big sized hands into. Fabric is nice quality, soft, dense.

Big sizes too...up to 2XL, and I think, tall sizes as well.

So I bought one last week, tried it a couple times already, works great. Large sz fits well on my medium build.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Site Admin

Price update on the fleece vests...bright orange and other colors...at Fred's: surprising to me, the previous sale price has dropped another $3, making it $9.99. I think I may be able to walk in tomorrow and get some money back.

As I said before, it's decent quality and construction. Some Chinese worker...China is where the tag says it's made...most likely worked very hard for very little to put these vests together. Depending upon how strictly you follow your responsible buying conscience, this low-buck stuff may not be the deal for you.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Site Admin

I should have posted this here when I got one.

This is a great deal on a rainproof jacket. Relative light and does pack in its own pouch. Selection is decreasing fast. Only XL (yellow/red) and XXL (red) now. This should include free shipping!

This is a closeout (although they don't say that)

But when looking for a nice rain jacket... this turned out to be a pretty good deal. Regularly $100, closeout at $55. Only a bit more than the generic stuff so I consider this a good deal.

Only difference I can see in the current model and last years is the waterproof zipper on the breast pocket. Otherwise, all the seams are treated on the inside and lots of vents.

http://www.rei.com/product/818947/no...ke-jacket-mens

Comes in red or yellow

Of course, I found this -after- I got totally drenched one day 20 miles from home.
Now I am prepared.

Last edited by Simple Nature; 10-15-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Site Admin

Simple Nature....good find...nice picture of it posted here too...looks like the jacket may be a fair investment of $55...nice discount from retail.

Another hi-vis deal: Old Navy has an active collection...basically running based I suppose, but from my experience, well suited for biking that doesn't involve racing. A little more relaxed fit than for example, racing jerseys.

Among what O-N has on its clearance racks now, is a hi-vis orange LS half zip polyester jersey type top. Has a 2" high collar. This is a more or less standard, familiar design that other big active wear brands have their own version of. Made in Egypt. $8.99, marked down from $25. In Beaverton, one XL, quite a few L, M, maybe one or two S. Again, not a true hi-vis orange, but very bright, nice shade.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Site Admin

Today, over at TJ Maxx...Hi-vis green with some black insets and bits of retro-reflective silver trim, men's full zip, zip front pockets. Brooks running jacket, water resistant, limited availability, two XL size when I was there, $19.00 down from $60. Nice quality. Snappy designing, appearance.

I was tempted, but I've already got a fairly bright jacket that's working.