Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

begin pt 2
Link to pt 1
Link to original post
Quote:

I just want to have a mount screw on to the handlebar, and leave it. Just like the new NiteRider Lumina's mount...

The lamp side of things would be an adapter to screw the camera into (from the side (like the GoPro's current system), not the bottom (like the standard tripod mount)), but wouldn't allow the camera to pivot, once on (the back of the case could still be opened however to remove the actual camera unit).

If NiteRider were to produce this before GoPro does, it would sell. I'd buy one for each all 3 of my bikes. I'm certain that a 3D printer could have a prototype whipped up in zero time.

Thanks!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 01-31-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Site Admin

K'Tesh, I wouldn't write off that Minoura clamp to quick.

It is well designed to privide significant clamping force along with the quick release you asked for.

Most people make the mistake of using the rubber paint protector pads with similar mounts. They are often too compliant. This is what causes the failure.

I found one near-failsafe paint protector... credit cards. That plastic is hard enough to not deform when clamped, but compliant enough to protect paint.

But, whatever...
Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 PM
Site Admin

My thoughts are like Simple Nature's, only I'd probably try thin leather (bar tape? old wallet or purse?) glued onto the bars with Barge Cement where the Minoura clamps. Or even just metal-to-metal.

Also, for the tripod threads, blue LocTite 242. Even red perma-locker could work if that joint doesn't need to be disconnected. (dang, the price of that stuff has sure gone up)

But I hear you K'Tesh, it's surprising that GoPro doesn't offer a ready-made quick-disconnect mount for bikes with the features you mentioned. Seems like an obvious niche to me.

Last edited by Alan; 01-31-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
K'Tesh, I wouldn't write off that Minoura clamp to quick.
I appreciate your feedback.

However, I refuse to pay over $30 for a mount (gotta buy both parts (plus shipping) that doesn't meet my requirements.

I absolutely have zero faith in camera tripod mounts due to my previous disappointments.

I want don't want that long mount dangling off of my camera as I'm dragging it around every day. That set screw (which I realize could have locTite used) is too much of a hassle. I just want to "set it, and forget it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
But I hear you K'Tesh, it's surprising that GoPro doesn't offer a ready-made quick-disconnect mount for bikes with the features you mentioned. Seems like an obvious niche to me.
It does seem like an obvious niche, why they haven't acted on this (actually this is the 2nd time I've brought this to them) before.

GoPro, or NiteRider, or some entrepreneur (Ronco?), will eventually make what I'm describing, and when they do, I'll buy it. If not, when I have the time, I'll make it myself and sell them.

If you build it, people will buy... If you build it, people will buy...

I just hope they'll ease my pain, and go the distance....

Last edited by K'Tesh; 01-31-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 PM
Site Admin

The "set" screw is a set-it-and-forget-it option. It has a quick release latch once you size it to your handlebar.

I could see a simple DIY version that would be even stronger with the appropriate go-pro mount. Probably something TerraCycle could machine up and offer. If I had a GoPro, I'd design it at a mere percentage of sales, of course. It really is a no-brainer if you have the tools.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 PM
Site Admin

BTW: I have an Oregon Scientific CAM with its little proprietary mounting scheme. Any play whatsoever in the system makes the videos intolerable to watch. Over time, the quick release mechanism just locked up. Even the orbital collar developed play and required shimming. Bike lights are pretty much immune to such minor play... but cameras are not. I can see how the GoPro mount is pretty much worthless on an unsuspended bike.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
BTW: I have an Oregon Scientific CAM with its little proprietary mounting scheme. Any play whatsoever in the system makes the videos intolerable to watch. Over time, the quick release mechanism just locked up. Even the orbital collar developed play and required shimming. Bike lights are pretty much immune to such minor play... but cameras are not. I can see how the GoPro mount is pretty much worthless on an unsuspended bike.
One thing that I've found that is good for reducing play on my mounts is poster putty. The tiniest of balls of that stuff rolled into a ball and applied to the mount does wonders for preventing shakiness.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Finally managed to make my own...

Using a spare NR Cordless MiNewt's Mount, and one of GoPro's self-adhesive helmet mounts I've finally created a mount that fits the bill (mostly, I didn't want to have to mod parts).

To do this, I had to remove the articulated (rotating) mounting deck of the NR mount. To do that, I first had to remove the rubber anti-slip pads from the main body. Next I had to pull the pin that holds the hinge together (was trapping the screw behind it). Next, I removed the screw that holds the main body of the mount to the deck.

The NR's main body has a step down in the back. So, to improve the adhesive contact area, I removed the GP's adhesive that would overhang the mount once it was stuck together, then applied it to the area where there was a gap was.

After mating the GP mount to the NR mount, To ensure that if the adhesive ever fail the camera wouldn't fall, I decided to zip-tie the mounts together as well. I drilled a hole in the face of the NR main body.

continued in pt 2.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Finally managed to make my own... pt 2

Continued from pt 1

Using my Swiss Army Knife's chisel I removed a part of the centerline ridge on the GP mount, then drilled a hole through it into the cavity for the old deck screw. I then did basically the same in the back of the GP mount. I had to make sure that the zip-tie wasn't too wide (thus preventing the GP's clip from sliding into place).

On my first attempt, I tried to round the edges of the cuts I made with a lighter (big mistake, only managed to mar the finish).

Lastly, I pinned the hinge back together, and slipped the rubber anti-slip pads back into place.

The mount is working fine, now if I can only re-arrange the dashboard, I should be able to do everything used to do (plus some).

I mounted the handlebar portion rotated back to allow me to push the camera forward and prevent the camera from rolling down while riding. This also prevents the camera from falling off if it's not fully clipped in.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Site Admin

Default Extreme Gadget Mounting Hardware

Consider RAM Mounts for mounting items on your bike when you want something durable, good looking and don't have the time or skills to make it yourself.
They have a little section of GoPro camera specific mounting hardware.

The underlying design principal of their product line is a hard rubber ball that pivots inside either end of a gripping arm. You buy:
  • a product specific adapter to mount your thing
  • mounting hardware that fits exactly what you want to attach to
  • an arm that goes between the two
and that's it. On the GoPro page their are kits; bicycle specific kit here.

There are a lot of pre-matched kits for popular user devices.
For the hardcore tinkerers they have components page where the parts are grouped first by the size of the rubber ball (key component: bigger supports more weight and vibration) then menus of the bases, arms and mounting adapters. These are all the same priced components as are in their kits on the gadget specific pages.

This stuff works very very well. I bought some for my car and the big rig I drive. Considering the videos of the military using this stuff there is no question that you could securely mount a gaming laptop to your handlebars if you were so inclined.
Use this knowledge wisely