Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Site Admin

Default Satisfied with your Bike light?

Hello my name is Jairo Castillo and I'm a senior student enrolled in a pre-engineering magnet program. I’m conducting some surveys to gather information on concerns or problems related to bike lights. These surveys will contribute towards my final engineering project on product innovation. I will gladly appreciate if you can fill out and answer these questions, each survey serves a different purpose. Thank you for your time and concern.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Q3MGSBH

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QGVXW8J

Feel free to leave any comments or suggestions related to the topic.

Last edited by cjairo; 11-28-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Site Admin

I have 2 bikes with totally different lighting systems so I'll have to answer each survey twice, after I get home and remember the brand on my dynamo one...
Old 11-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Site Admin

I filled out both surveys and had that same problem as Spiffy of more than one bike & light. I picked one and then factored in other experiences. Each survey didn't let me fill it out more than once, although maybe I just needed to delete a cookie.

In both surveys, "meanwhile" should just be "while," a minor point.

More problematic were a couple of false choices. The one I remember is whether road visibility or being seen by cars is more important to me, and no choice of "both are essential" (at least in one survey, the other had a "both" option, IIRC). I decided that gven adequate road visibility, it's nearly certain that cars can see my light.

Oh, and the question about helmet-mounted lights was odd...can't recall th.e details but something about whether it was better than bar-mount. Again, my choice would be "it depends, but BOTH is better than either/or."

Another difficult choice was the 1-10 rating of peripheral lighting satisfaction. For road visibility, peripheral lighting is not very important to me, I want to see what's ahead, not what I'm passing. To me, peripheral refers to stuff way out on the sides, at least 45 off-center and more like 60, and that's farther out than I want a light for anything except being seen by cars, and well beyond where I expect to light up the road.

Finally, I suspect that the rider's intended use of lights varies a lot. For instance, MTB trail riders, randonneurs and commuters each have distinct qualities they expect of their lights in terms of brightness, beam pattern, battery life, weight, etc. A question about intended use might help group together different sets of responses.

Anyway, overall I like that Jairo is already looking at user-focused design in his senior year. Lots to be done and lots to learn in that field! Good luck, Jairo!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Site Admin

The multi-purpose of bike lighting and the goals of people really makes a single sided survey pretty much useless. If on one occation I can answer one way, while in a completely different occation, I would answer another.

I have been working on making bike lights useful for some 2 years now. Mostly just a hobby but also serious about bike safety making it more than a casual interest.

Cost is often the prohibiting factor. Companies that use a name like DiNotte simply cater to the fears in people and charge accordingly.

A company that truly cares about our safety would make sure every bike has excellent lights while working with small margins. I haven't seen this in this industry. A silly little blinking light that cost less than a $1 to make goes for $25 or more. This is insane. These companies simply do not care about anything except their bottom line.

As for night time questions, any light good for daytime use will work well at night. Sometimes even too good!

The best summary I can provide here is know your audience and have solid solutions for all situations. I have seen some do this successfully but the cost is still out of this world.

Competing with the current players is going to be a struggle... but if you can put a light on every bike, and have them function as seeing as well as being seen at an affordable cost (<$40) for a complete (front and rear) superbright light set with adequate runtimes and rechargeable, then you might have something.

If you are doing this as a study for school, you might consider a little more work on your initial survey or even work on the business model 1st if you haven't done so already.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Site Admin

Thanks everyone on the feedback.

The surveys will contribute for consumer research statistical analysis so they basically serve for me to see what key points should my final prototype focus on.