Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up Petition: Allow NPS hiker/biker camping when campground is full

This just showed up on the CrazyGuy Advocacy Forum, offering folks a petition to sign which encourages National Parks to allow hiker/biker camping even when their campgrounds are otherwise full. Many state parks already do that and it works fine; SPV don't take much room and most of us know how to share space effectively. I think it's a smart idea to not push tired riders on down the road at the end of the day.

As the original petitioner wrote on CGOAB, "The kicker is the petition has to have at least 25,000 people sign it by December 15, 2012, to be considered. [...] To make it even tougher for them to consider it, the petition is not available to be publicly seen until at least 150 people sign the petition."

Pass this along to your SocMed contacts, too!

Petition: http://wh.gov/XTSw

To sign the petition you must make an account at whitehouse.gov, and that means clicking on the Confirmation Link they send to your email address. (easy, takes 2 minutes)
Require the National Park Service to allow camping to all self-propelled visitors even if campground is full.

The National Park Service (NPS) currently do not permit a Park to allow additional overnight visitors if the campground is full.

Self-propelled visitors (SPV), a person arriving by foot, bicycle, canoe, or other mode of movement NOT utilizing a motorized vehicle, frequently arrive after the park campground has sold out. The vast majority of the SPV use a small tent. If a campground is sold out, a SPV may not be able to travel to the next available campground before dark.

Whereas a SPV visitor using a tent takes up very little space and has little environmental impact, we herpetitiontion the Federal Government to require the NPS to always allow SPV a place to legally camp for one night even if the campground is considered full.
(yeah, he misspelled 'hereby petition', oh well)

Hehe... I'm #2
Old 11-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Site Admin

I won't sign it... the campgrounds already have a designated number of spots assigned to minimally impact the surrounding natural areas... if they allow you to camp then it'll be in a non-designated area...

people on bikes are usually pretty social so I don't see a problem with doing a couple loops around the campground to find some people that look cool and ask if you can pay the fee for an extra person in order to join their camp site...
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Site Admin

I did sign it. This can, without trying to sound too dramatic, be a matter of life and death. When out on a long, multi-day, self-supported tour, it may be a long stretch between campsites. And in uncivilized areas, there may not be any services like potable water for miles around. After a full day in the saddle and the tank is running dry, it's good to know you have somewhere to recharge. Although it's unlikely, sometimes the crowd can be rather unfriendly to the skinny tired (e.g. the country rube that just tried to run you off the road a few miles back). I would feel better on a touring ride to know that I've got just a bit of a backup.