Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Newbie Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Site Admin

Default Front fender for a mountain bike with no eyelets on right side of fork?

I'm a new bike commuter and while things have been amazing all Summer, I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do when the rain comes back. I currently have a mountain bike that I put new street friendly tires on and it's worked great so far. The bike also has a shock on the front but there are no eyelets on the right side of the fork to attach a front fender to. I know I could get a smaller fender that would pop into the hole of my stem tube but from what I've found on this board it won't really offer me the kind of protection that I'm going to want to ride on wet roads. Are there any products made that would offer me a full front fender or do I need to ditch the shock and buy a front fork to replace it so I can better endure wet weather rides?
Old 10-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Site Admin

Every fender I've seen for a suspension fork are the type you mentioned so a ridged fork is your best bet
Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Site Admin

Yep, full fenders covering spray onto the drive train and lower legs is pretty high on my foul-weather 'wants' on a bike.

Caveat: I have no first-hand experience putting fenders on a suspension bike. But...

You can get past the missing eyelet problem using P-clamps, hose clamps and/or zip ties. I have used all of those to mount fenders. Don't crank down harder than necessary on the hose clamps; they might get too tight and deform the tubes. Also, I bet your local bike shop has some ideas on it, too.

It can be done* but you need to think about clearances, especially how your brakes will reach around the fenders if you have rim brakes.

* http://pedalrevolutionblog.files.wor...12/08/0151.jpg (note that they use zip ties to connect to the eyelet instead of machine screws)

* http://www.breezerbikes.com/eu/image...ERTY_2.0_M.jpg
Old 10-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Site Admin

the eyelets you see on the left side are for disc brakes, not a fender...

you'll need to go with one of Alan's suggestions for alternative clamp methods...

such as these: http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...ttachment.html

most bike shops should have some...

zip-ties are also cheap and easy...

or hose clamps... I think that's what I'll use for my roommate's bike since I still have some leftover from when I had a car years ago...
Old 10-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Site Admin

Thanks for the responses. I've ordered a replacement fork from my local bike shop to replace the shock. Looking at the forecast is making me really nervous. I haven't had to ride in any kind of bad weather yet but hopefully getting this new fork so I can get set up with good fenders will help make things a bit better.