Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Site Admin

Default Chestnuts on bike path. Reason to worry?

I'm a new bike commuter and during my ride home the other day I noticed chestnuts all over the bike path. Given their size and round shape it's like someone dumped a bag of ball bearings. Should I worry about them possibly taking me out or can I just ride through them?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Site Admin

I would not want to hit a thick patch of fallen chestnuts with much speed! I'd slow way down, maybe 3-7mph, stand up on the pedals, off the seat, weight slightly back, and brace for unexpected handling reactions. Skinny, high-pressure tires or clipped-in feet are also concerns, if you use those.

You might want to try intentionally running over one or two single chestnuts at a time, at slow speed, to see what it feels like, so you'd have some idea what to expect if you hit some by mistake. It's going to feel quite a bit like hitting a round rock of the same size, so be prepared!

The sharp spines on the husks might puncture some tires, but most commuter tires are tough enough to take it. Even so, I'd avoid them if possible just to avoid that chance of a flat. If you do get a flat, be sure to find the spine that made it through to the tube AND REMOVE IT FROM THE TIRE, completely, or it will probably poke through the tube again.

It would be nice if the route you are riding was swept of those nuts. At least a couple of guys on here have swept various spots themselves, and most cities have a service number or website form to request street maintenance including sweeping. (Those contacts should be--& probably are--in a sticky thread here, but I'm not finding it, offhand.)
Old 10-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Site Admin

Great information, thanks for your reply.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Site Admin

Another good reason to carry a broom. I'm used to sweeping glass, but this is anew angle. Where are they? If I ride through there I'll give them a push.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguyonabike View Post
Another good reason to carry a broom. I'm used to sweeping glass, but this is anew angle. Where are they? If I ride through there I'll give them a push.
He's a witch!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Site Admin

You would think so to see my ride
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iphone 058.jpg (96.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Site Admin

AJ08, keep that location in mind later on in the season when the leaves come down; rain and leaves make a very slippery combination.

OldGuy, you are one of the sweepers I had in mind in my first post, along with Jeff and K'Tesh, thanks guys! (and nice ride!)
Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Site Admin

Ok, I am envisioning a broom attached to a rear wheel so as you ride, you sweep.